Cross Country Shipping (NY > SF, Redfoot)

itzanduts

Location (City and/or State)
NY
We are moving from New York to San Francisco and need to transport our 3 year old Redfoot Tortoise. He is about 8 inches long.

Does anyone in the community have tips or advise on shipping? Our current plan is to order materials from reptile2you (https://www.reptiles2you.com/Reptile-Shipping-Kits-C7.aspx) and ship via FedEx Live Animal under the most expedited service available.

We live near the FedEx so we can likely drop him off right before they close.

Any advise is greatly appreciated as he is our prized possession.

Reactions: Ink

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
We are moving from New York to San Francisco and need to transport our 3 year old Redfoot Tortoise. He is about 8 inches long.

Does anyone in the community have tips or advise on shipping? Our current plan is to order materials from reptile2you (https://www.reptiles2you.com/Reptile-Shipping-Kits-C7.aspx) and ship via FedEx Live Animal under the most expedited service available.

I would recommend using shipyourreptiles.com. You will have to have someone on the other end of the shipment. You would package your tort with their shipping supplies, then create a shipping label through the website (so much cheaper). BUT, in order to ship, it will go overnight shipping which means the location will have to be a FedEx live animal location which shipyourreptiles can provide the closest one to you. Then the person on the other end receiving will have to pick up at the closest FedEx airport location. When you ship, you will want to drop off the package 1 hour before last drop off so that your tort is in the box the least amount of time. We use them all the time, they are easy to work with, someone is always available to answer questions. Pretty easy process.

If you are traveling by air to your new location, you can also contact Delta, maybe you can ship the same flight as you. Or if you are driving across country, keep your tort with you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I prefer Reptiles2you over ship your reptiles, but I wouldn't use either for a tortoise that large. Better to do a Delta Dash or United cargo flight in a small dog crate for that. Its one flight and the tortoise will only be out of your hands for a few hours instead of 16+ hours over night.

If you do FedEx, you have to ask the last drop off time, not closing time, at your local hub. Find your hub, not just any Fed Ex location, to eliminate part of the travel time and risk. You will to be able to reach them or get an answer by phone or online. Their lack of customer service infuriates me, and if there were any other reasonable alternative, I would use it. You will have to drive there and ask the guy behind the counter when the last drop off time for overnight shipping is. Its 5 pm here, and they don't close until 7 pm. If you come later than drop off time, your tortoise will not make it to the airport that night, and good luck tracking it down if it misses any point of this crucial chain.

Better still to drive him, and then you can control the conditions the whole way.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
The shipyourreptiles is by far the best. They will provide you with the address of the closest live shipment FedEx facility. You input that information online at Fedex and it will tell you the last drop time. Always bring your tort 1 hour prior to that time. Shipyourreptiles has plenty of shipping material options that will fit your tort. We highly recommend shipyourreptiles. In my opinion Reptiles2you has terrible customer service, no one ever answers the phone and it took a week to for them to respond to my voicemail.

I hope that you can just make the trip over the road with your tort, but if need be, shipyourreptiles is highly recommended by me. I just had a shipment overnight 12 hours last week and as a matter of fact have one coming overnight tonight from VA. Best of luck to you!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The shipyourreptiles is by far the best. They will provide you with the address of the closest live shipment FedEx facility. You input that information online at Fedex and it will tell you the last drop time. Always bring your tort 1 hour prior to that time. Shipyourreptiles has plenty of shipping material options that will fit your tort. We highly recommend shipyourreptiles. In my opinion Reptiles2you has terrible customer service, no one ever answers the phone and it took a week to for them to respond to my voicemail.

I hope that you can just make the trip over the road with your tort, but if need be, shipyourreptiles is highly recommended by me. I just had a shipment overnight 12 hours last week and as a matter of fact have one coming overnight tonight from VA. Best of luck to you!!!
I've had the opposite customer service. I could never reach anyone form ship your reptiles, and Debbie at Reptiles2you answers the phone every time I call. She's always helpful and gets me whatever it is I need immediately. Customer service is WHY I prefer her to them. I've dealt with her many times over many years and shipped with her company dozens of times. I learned about her from Will.

Interesting. I wonder if something happened to her that week or something, or maybe she was on vacation. Weird.