Sleepy hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
I've kept a number of different tortoise species, but it seems my radiated hatchling is much sleepier than any of my other tortoises, which I also raised from hatchlings. I know all hatchlings are sleepy to a certain extent, but my radiated seems SUPER sleepy compared to the others. He appears very healthy, and eats well. He's even putting on some noticeable growth. Still, I wonder if it's his individual personality to be so sleepy, or if radiated tortoises (especially hatchlings) are known for it.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior in their radiated tortoise hatchlings?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I dont own one so i couldnt say if its a the specific tortoise behavior or just yours, just make sure hes keeps hydrated.. I know i had a sulcata that slept a lot and it ate and stuff, but he gradually became sleepier and he was dehydrated. I know its a totally different species though.. Should be interesting to here the real answer though.. hopefully someone will help answer it

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would double check all the husbandry such as temperature gradient and humidity, but otherwise not think too much of it if otherwise healthy as you described. Tort behavior really varies based on the tort and species. If you were very worried you could mention it to a vet as well. Sorry I don't have radiata-specific advice though. Hopefully someone else drops in.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've heard of some radiated tortoises babies being pretty inactive.

One hatchling I get to check on at a local zoo is always sleeping.

My stars are pretty inactive most of the time....they sleep most of the time. My stars are mostly active in the morning or evening. When they are active, it is very brief...probably just enough to drink, eat, and poop....then back to sleep! My dream life! just kiddin

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Michael,
I have been observing my radiateds the last few weeks. One is a little sluggish than the others, but mine are pretty active. They "run" when they see me.

Status
Not open for further replies.