Venturing off to procreate

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Astro is growing nicely. I've raised him since he was a hatchling in 2004. I'm sending him off to copulate(successfully I'm hopeful for) with a 80 year old female radiated. Should find out fertile results this fall. He's not a super "lemon blast creamsickle" or "mega blonde flame thrower" but he's still cool. I'm just excited to know I'll be sharing half of hopefully 60-80 baby radiated tortoises next year. He's still very young. But his tail and gular scute is starting to really pronounce. I used a 16 pound Sulcata female to see what his breeding behavior would consist of. He successfully flipped the female. She was removed so before he could do anything else. I think he's ready.

His current stats.

15 pounds.
12" SCL
Will be 11 years old in November
image.jpg
image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, no breeding until 11 years of age? We're you just holding off, or they really are not mature enough until much older? I think he looks very pretty. Kind cool with a lot of black. Btw, do you own the 80 year old or are you literally sending him away?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wow, no breeding until 11 years of age? We're you just holding off, or they really are not mature enough until much older? I think he looks very pretty. Kind cool with a lot of black. Btw, do you own the 80 year old or are you literally sending him away?
Yep. Most keepers (primarily the elder keepers) of radiata say they won't successfully breed until about 20 years old. Now of course this would be females per they say. Males obviously mature a little quicker. But I'm sure hoping he does e trick. A friend of mine owns the female. Sure do hope it works out. Would be fun to add a bunch of wee radiated to the list.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yep. Most keepers (primarily the elder keepers) of radiata say they won't successfully breed until about 20 years old. Now of course this would be females per they say. Males obviously mature a little quicker. But I'm sure hoping he does e trick. A friend of mine owns the female. Sure do hope it works out. Would be fun to add a bunch of wee radiated to the list.
WOW! !

20 years for female. I hope I live that long to see my rads lay eggs.....

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Kelly, I would be surprised if your male will be able to breed to the female. He is just shy of 12" and they typically need to be at least 12.5" so don't expect much this breeding season.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Pretty small male for his age of 11 years, but they all vary so much. Dont count your chickens before they hatch! The smaller males typically go for the smaller females not so much "80 year olds" hard to mount haha!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I saw the title and figured I'd raise my hand. Then I read the thread and meekly lowered it. Not a chance I'd want anything to do with that many youngins running around here!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Kelly, I would be surprised if your male will be able to breed to the female. He is just shy of 12" and they typically need to be at least 12.5" so don't expect much this breeding season.
We shall see. It's worth a shot at least. Hopefully he can master it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
60 to 80 babies from one female in one year. Really, I want a swig of that, that which you drank from when you wrote this. So you are hybridizing with a sulcata? LOL Kelly.
Not entirely, yeah it's more on the larger end of this females producing numbers for annual clutches. She laid multiple 12 egg clutches at st.catherines island and is a typical 6-7 clutcher. So yah never know. I just may get my 30-40. Doubtful though as many may also not be fertile too, but yah never know. Hopefully the male will be worth something in the partnership with the female.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Not entirely, yeah it's more on the larger end of this females producing numbers for annual clutches. She laid multiple 12 egg clutches at st.catherines island and is a typical 6-7 clutcher. So yah never know. I just may get my 30-40. Doubtful though as many may also not be fertile too, but yah never know. Hopefully the male will be worth something in the partnership with the female.

sound like if the government lift the ban on radiata trade, they'll be the next sulcata for sure

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
sound like if the government lift the ban on radiata trade, they'll be the next sulcata for sure
Definitely not. Radiata take a while to mature. As described above by successful radiata breeders. I'm hoping my male is successful. Averages clutches are nowhere near 12 eggs. 4-7,8 is pretty good size clutch. Also fertility. So I'd say for sure will unlikely become a Sulcata like issue. Lots are produced though here in the US for sure though.