Slightly pink urates, what could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzybird

5 Year Member
Good morning everyone. I have just bathed Tortellini, and i noticed that when he expelled his urates, they were slightly pink in colour.... i am hoping it is the radicchio lettuce he has been eating, but could there be a more sinister cause?? prompt replies would be appreciated, thankyou xx

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hi Dizzybird. I've actually never heard of pink urates, but to me , in my opinion, it doesn't sound great. I'm sure someone who knows more about this will post soon. I just hope Torttellini is okay !!!

Dizzybird

5 Year Member
oh no, i hope it is not bad :( he just passed them and they were slightly pink, they have always been white, and were fine yesterday.... i do hope it is not a bad sign

Stazz

5 Year Member
I hope not either !!!! We'll wait and see what someone else says. DOn't worry just yet, but just keep an eye on him!

Dizzybird

5 Year Member
Oo i just read on a website that if a tortoise does expel pink urates 99% of the time it is food pigment, but it could point to the fact that he may be aneamic... i think i will keep a close eye on him and if it continues i will take a trip to the vet.
His poops etc are all fine, and he is very active, so i am hoping that it is just that he has had a bit of radicchio etc and its coloured his urates... fingers crossed :)

S

stells

Dandelions will also do this if they are fed regularly...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
When I got Hermy, I thought it was ok to feed dandelions a couple of times a week, and his urates was pinkish and his urines too. Now I only feed dandelions once a week.
Do you feed dandelions often to your little Tortellini ( I love the name :D).

Stazz

5 Year Member
Aha so I think we may have a diagnosis then Dizzy !!!! Slow down on the dandelions and radicchio and see what comes of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.