slow growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Hi my sulcata is 18 months old and seems to be growing slow. He seems healthy and is very active. I feed the right diet and temps and humidity is good. He also gets lots of time outside. He is 3.5 inches long and only 130 grams. I don't have a herp vet nearby to test for worms. Any suggestions would be helpful?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The right diet, which is?

The temps and humidity is good, and that is?

It never hurts to double check these things to be sure the are what you want them to be. And to re-read the "important threads" at the top of the Sulcata section to be sure if you're doing it within the parameters.

Some animals just plain grow slower than others. There may be nothing wrong. He may just one day take off and really start growing.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Any vet can check a faecal sample for worms. It just requires a microscope. Advice on the best treatment and dose for a tort your size is available on here if the vet cannot access it.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Temps are 100 basking and 85 on cool side. I mist his tort table daily, and he has a humid hide with a sponge attached. I feed grass weeds dandelion flowers and I just got in mazuri. He has a large outdoor pen where he munches grass and weeds. Now that its warm he stays outside durring the day and loves to be out there. Is there any way to deworm without going to a vet? I also soak him everyday. I am just wondering why he is growing so slow. He otherwise seems healthy and active.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is no point worming a healthy tort. Once you have confirmation there is a problem, and there may not be, then treat... but only do it if you have to.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
My sulcata never grew for the first six months that I owned him. After building him a closed chamber and keeping the humidity up he gains a gram every 2-3 days and I've seen new growth on his shell.. So I would check your humidity levels because I strongly believe that was the problem with my tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.