Slow weight gain

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
I'm a little concerned for my Tips. She was gaining really good for a while, but her weight is slowing down. He's at 530is grams right now. I got her last Oct. And she was a baby, but I'm not 100% sure when her birthday is. Assuming she was 2-3 months old when I got her, she's around 1 year old. I know torts gain at different rates, but what can I do to help her gain a little more?
She spends all day outside eating weeds and grass.. I rarely feed her store bought foods, maybe a strawberry here and there. At night she comes inside and soaks 30 mins 3x a week.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How frequently are you weighing? You can do it too frequently and get hung up on a few grammes either way. A particularly large poop can make a massive difference.

Weigh no more often than fortnightly. Do it at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency.

And accept that some times a tort will grow quicker than others. Just like humans, a growth spurt followed by a slower period of growth isn't uncommon.

As long as there's no sign of illness or weight loss, I would not be concerned.

If weight gain (or nearly) has completely stalled, take a fresh poop sample to a vet and get it checked for parasites. Doing this would do no harm in any case

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
How frequently are you weighing? You can do it too frequently and get hung up on a few grammes either way. A particularly large poop can make a massive difference.

Weigh no more often than fortnightly. Do it at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency.

And accept that some times a tort will grow quicker than others. Just like humans, a growth spurt followed by a slower period of growth isn't uncommon.

As long as there's no sign of illness or weight loss, I would not be concerned.

If weight gain (or nearly) has completely stalled, take a fresh poop sample to a vet and get it checked for parasites. Doing this would do no harm in any case
I usually weigh once a month, but I never thought about growth spurts. She went from 300g to 450g really fast, so I assumed she would continue to gain quickly, but I didn't think of it as a growth spurt. Thanks :)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Does Tippi get any pellet type food , such as Mazuri ? I have always fed Speedy Mazuri pellets a couple times a week. They do seem to grow in spurts . I also soaked him daily all the time he lived inside , not that it is a necessity its just some thing I did !

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Does Tippi get any pellet type food , such as Mazuri ? I have always fed Speedy Mazuri pellets a couple times a week. They do seem to grow in spurts . I also soaked him daily all the time he lived inside , not that it is a necessity its just some thing I did !
I tried feeding her Mazuri and the other brand (don't remember) but she wouldn't really touch it. If I mixed it with food, she would pick out what she wanted