Small beginner tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
I currently own a musk turtle and an RES but I've been studying a bit on tortoises and I've decided that i want one. I want a tortoise that is very small being that I don't want to have a giant enclosure, but I also want a tortoise that is decently easy to care for. I am mostly concerned with the size of the tortoise though.
I've heard that a good rule of thumb for enclosure size is 10 times the tortoises length and 5 times his width, is this true? I plan on keeping my tortoises main enclosure indoors but i will set up an outdoor pen to put him in a few times a week for a few hours.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
What size enclosure can you accomodate and are we talking indoors or out?

Tortoises grow. Some get bigger than others. Some roam more than others. Russians are very tolerant, but need lots of space as they grow up. I have never heard your rule of thumb and will be interested in what others say.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I would shoot for a russian tortoise. They fit your tortoise size requirements as well as ease of care. As for indoor habitat goes, remember-bigger is always better than an equation. All tortoises are roamers and this habit requires a large enclosure to satisfy. In my opinion, an outdoor enclosure is very much needed, at least spring-fall, for more natural behavior which leads to a happier tortoise and a happier keeper.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Most of the Testudo species would meet your requirements. Russian, or Greek for example. However the need for an outdoor enclosure cannot be overstated. Russians in particular are a small species but roams one of the largest territories of all tortoises. They can get very frustrated and become annoying with the constant attempts to climb out of a too small enclosure.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
Most of the Testudo species would meet your requirements. Russian, or Greek for example. However the need for an outdoor enclosure cannot be overstated. Russians in particular are a small species but roams one of the largest territories of all tortoises. They can get very frustrated and become annoying with the constant attempts to climb out of a too small enclosure.

I will have an outdoor enclosure but I cannot keep him/her outdoor all the time because I live in the country part of Louisiana and there are ALOT of critters and stray animals that I am afraid would chew through any fence/wire I use to cover his outdoor habitat. If I did keep him outside then I would have to take him in at night. Also as surprising as it sounds, our winters can get as cold as 25 degrees and even with a heat lamp I think it would still be too cold.

JoesMum said:
What size enclosure can you accomodate and are we talking indoors or out?

Tortoises grow. Some get bigger than others. Some roam more than others. Russians are very tolerant, but need lots of space as they grow up. I have never heard your rule of thumb and will be interested in what others say.

I would say about a 5x3 ft enclosure is the biggest I can go indoors.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
pam said:
Russians are awesome :)

Yes! I've decided to get a russian tortoise! I know how to take care of one too! but im a little confused on the space it needs. I've heard that a 4x4 habitat is big enough for an adult russian, is this true?

7oasty23

5 Year Member
adamlikesbananas said:
pam said:

Yes! I've decided to get a russian tortoise! I know how to take care of one too! but im a little confused on the space it needs. I've heard that a 4x4 habitat is big enough for an adult russian, is this true?

I have a 4 by 6, and he seems quite pleased with it.

7oasty23 said:
adamlikesbananas said:
pam said:

I have a 4 by 6, and he seems quite pleased with it.

Sorry, 2 by 6.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
But a 3x5 would probably be fine. Place boards at an angle to remove the corner which they use to climb.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
3 x5 sounds ridiculously small for an adult Russian. It would go nuts trying to roam! An immature one would handle that size, but not an adult.

Please remember that these creatures have a life expectancy of 50 years plus in captivity. By 10 years, or even before, I would be expecting trouble in a small enclosure

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My isolation tub for russians that I get in is2'x4'. This is for adults. Do they like it compared to the great outdoors? No. For a lone adult russian, the increased floor space provided by 3'x5' is, in my opinion, fine for an adult. That would be one which also is able to get outside in the real world regularly.
Mind you this is just my opinion and experience with the 8 adults I currently have, as well as the multitudes I've kept in the past and set up for people.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
I did research on a Russian and I think you made a good choice. I bought a Sulcata but their size I just can't handle so I might consider gettin an RT.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
animalfreak said:
I did research on a Russian and I think you made a good choice. I bought a Sulcata but their size I just can't handle so I might consider gettin an RT.

Yeah I looked at some Sulcata's but they are WAY too big for me too! lol

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I live in rural swla so I know what you mean about critters but luckily most are nocturnal. I dont see why you cant have an outdoor enclosure though plenty of critters are kept outdoor and safe just use chicken wire or hardware cloth. After all it keeps chickens safe and im betting they taste better than tortoise.

☆Jenn☆ and The Sulcata Hatchies, Cera, Ducky, and Spike!

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
JennBell0725 said:
I live in rural swla so I know what you mean about critters but luckily most are nocturnal. I dont see why you cant have an outdoor enclosure though plenty of critters are kept outdoor and safe just use chicken wire or hardware cloth. After all it keeps chickens safe and im betting they taste better than tortoise.

thanks! I'll see what I can do. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Chicken wire will be useless against things like raccoons and other serious tort predators. The wire Hardware cloth affords much better protection, IMHO.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Just depends on the gauge of wire used.

Status
Not open for further replies.