Small bugs in enclosure?

MyTortoise

I've noticed some tiny black bugs flying in and out the dark, damp areas of my tortoises enclosure. I'm not sure how they got in, because I haven't noticed them on her food and its an indoor enclosure. I just wanted to know if its something to worry about, there's only been a few.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's probably just fruit gnats. Or wet substrate gnats. Is your substrate wet? Let it dry out. The only thing you have to worry about with the gnats is when they lay eggs and then the maggots hatch. If it were my indoor enclosure, I'd take it outside, dump the whole thing and start over. I hate gnats in the house.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
you can use some food grade diatomaceous earth and that will keep bugs away. If you use DE make sure its food grade and use protective eye and mouth wear while its airborne.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Substrate flies are normal and harmless. They come from the surrounding environment. If you wish to get rid of them you'll need to bake, boil or replace your substrate about every two weeks. I just ignore them.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I sometimes have those too, and I found out it was because of my wet substrate. let your substate dry out for a few days, and they should be gone.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Another term for them is fungus gnats 'cause I believe that's what their larvae feed on, although I can't swear to it. They're harmless. I have a pitcher plant around that appears to attract and eat them. I think it's keeping their numbers in check.