Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
So when I got home today I noticed some bugs in my leos home fruit flies I think small black flying ones. Tiny. 3 or 4 of them. Then I got thinking omg there prob in the substrate I get looking around nothing in the dirt ( Eco earth mixed cypress) but then I lift the sphagnum moss where I keep the fogger to keep things moist and these little tiny white bugs go running what are they why are they there? Is it ok or bad?

It's seems to be in the moss only

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most end up with some kind of bugs. I had the little flying ones also. I switched to coconut coir only. I don't have them now, except the very few that has not died yet because some how they are surviving in my house plants. If you don't want to buy new substrate, you can boil your sub. Or cook it in the oven to kill the bugs. However, you will most likely get them back. They won't hurt anything.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The little white bugs are most likely springtails, very common and completely harmless. I have all KINDS of bugs living in all of my enclosures, and isopds and snails and slugs as well.

springtails-ygl.jpg

NaturoseSpringtails2.jpg

A lot of people purposely culture springtails to feed to amphibians.

I also deal with the fruit flies. I just set out a cup of wine with a piece of saran wrap over the top with tiny holes poked in it. They fly in and get drunk and drown.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
wellington said:
Most end up with some kind of bugs. I had the little flying ones also. I switched to coconut coir only. I don't have them now, except the very few that has not died yet because some how they are surviving in my house plants. If you don't want to buy new substrate, you can boil your sub. Or cook it in the oven to kill the bugs. However, you will most likely get them back. They won't hurt anything.

So the bugs are safe they aren't tics or any bad blood suckers. Would they be in the plants inside the terrarium Venus fly trap and aloe. It allstarted after I got the venu and the moss.

Kristina said:
The little white bugs are most likely springtails, very common and completely harmless. I have all KINDS of bugs living in all of my enclosures, and isopds and snails and slugs as well.

springtails-ygl.jpg

NaturoseSpringtails2.jpg

A lot of people purposely culture springtails to feed to amphibians.

I also deal with the fruit flies. I just set out a cup of wine with a piece of saran wrap over the top with tiny holes poked in it. They fly in and get drunk and drown.

That's actually so funny

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol....I always love this question!!! Ahhh bugs :D by the way...I did the same thing the very first time it happened to me...they are a bug that lives in the soil/substrate....they wont hurt anything...but are rather annoying just the same. They will eventually cycle out or to very low amounts that will be in the substrate...you can even add some rolly Polly bugs and small soil worms to help the other buggies you already have and get a little eco system going in there..the critters feed off of the waste and left over pieces of food you offer your torts...also if you have live plants that is a perfect environment for the little buggies....:D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite! ;) :p

(just to be clear, these are not bed bugs and do not feed off people and will not infest anyone's bed, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.