Tiny bugs all over enclosure

Boston Pitty

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
The tiny bugs are all over Perogies enclosure. They are even climbing on him. I'm worried they might hurt him. I keep his space clean but when I got home for work these little bugs were everywhere. I put my hand down and they are all over my hand in thereIMG_20190707_190927.jpegView attachment 276102

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Are they just common fruit flies? Hard to see, but little gnats and fruit flies and other such lil bugs are just part of keeping food in damp, moist warm humid conditions. No harm going to become to your tort from these “pesky” bugs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
More than likely what you have in your substrate is called springtails. They are impossible to get rid of. They thrive in the warm moist environment. Springtails are not harmful to your tortoise. If your enclosure isn't too big, you can take it outside in the sun for the day, going out every hour or so and stirring up the substrate so you expose all of it to the sun. Naturally, the tortoise would NOT be in the enclosure for the day.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
They look and sound like Springtails, they are totally harmless and almost impossible to avoid. I would leave them be they won't hurt anything and just come with keeping torts inside.