Small bump left side neck

Wendy McDougald

Location (City and/or State)
Chatham, LA
Good morning! I have a 2 month hatchling. After morning soak when I picked her up to dry her off the left side of her neck looked funny. It appears to be a bump there. I am attaching a photo to see if you guys can help me out as to what needs to be done. I plan to call vet when they open.

20201002_073041.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you please tell us where you got the hatchling from? Also that appears to be a sulcata is that correct? @zovick

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
CAn you take better pictures of the bump in the neck and please add a photo of each limb and plastron. There has been a number of sulcata babies with yellow bumps. Best wished

Wendy McDougald

Chatham, LA
CAn you take better pictures of the bump in the neck and please add a photo of each limb and plastron. There has been a number of sulcata babies with yellow bumps. Best wished

Thanks for your input. I have seen those yellow bumps you are referring to in post. I don't believe her's looks like those. I have called vet and the exotic Dr is out until Tuesday.

20201002_081641.jpg20201002_081703.jpg20201002_081711.jpg20201002_081731.jpg20201002_081741.jpg20201002_081805.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for your input. I have seen those yellow bumps you are referring to in post. I don't believe her's looks like those. I have called vet and the exotic Dr is out until Tuesday.
Your tortoise looks a bit "depressed" and I don't see much new growth occurring. The plastron looks as though it may be having some circulatory issues and doesn't look like healthy shell tissue should appear (to me). Has the tortoise been acting normally and eating OK?

It appears that there may be a smaller bump on the right side of the neck. Is that why you took a picture of the that side?

The one on the left side appears to be a possible fatty tumor (benign) or maybe a stone in a salivary duct or lymphatic duct. It may be getting one on the right side also, as I said, because there appears to be a smaller but similar lesion on that side.

It will be interesting to see what the exotics vet says if you take the tortoise to see him/her on Tuesday.

Wendy McDougald

Chatham, LA
Good morning! I have a 2 month hatchling. After morning soak when I picked her up to dry her off the left side of her neck looked funny. It appears to be a bump there. I am attaching a photo to see if you guys can help me out as to what needs to be done. I plan to call vet when they open.
Yes she has been active and eating well up till yesterday. Took photo of that side just to see the difference. I was just afraid with temp fluctuation we are having now that I need to change out some lighting to keep temps steady. About to get a CHE now

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Definitely need a Che with a temperature control so you can maintain a good temp. I would also suggest you get some carrot purée or juice and add 1:1 with water for soaks to give some extra vitamins

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
this is how the bumps start early on. they eventually turn hard and crusty and more yellow

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Her eyes are nearly shut in the photos. Has she been keeping them closed a lot?

What kind of UVB light are you using? Is it a cfl or compact type? Curly? Does it screw into a regular light bulb type socket?

Wendy McDougald

Chatham, LA
Her eyes are nearly shut in the photos. Has she been keeping them closed a lot?

What kind of UVB light are you using? Is it a cfl or compact type? Curly? Does it screw into a regular light bulb type socket?
It is tubular. After carrot soak she ate good, both eyes wide and active. Got temps up and consist. Will work today on trying to keep that heat going with UV, and humidity