Small(ish) heated hide

Kay Rae

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I tried searching, but all I've found for the size I'm going for has been locked with no complete answers.

So, I have a 4 and a half year old sulcata measured 6" in plastron length in a 2.5 x 2.5 x 5 foot wood/chicken wire enclosure. He is currently inside because the nighttime temps are averaging 50 here in FL. This cage is WAY to big for me to lug in and out morning and night, so he's stuck inside until temps stay over 60. We have the occasional hawk, I won't let him roam the yard unattended, so in the cage he stays for now (I'm only finding big yard heated hut plans). I want to make a heated hide to put inside the enclosure so he can have a warm place to sleep at night and be able to enjoy the wonderful daytime weather as well. I've considered small dog houses, but with a ceramic heat bulb would that be too small a space (fire/burn hazard?)? Heating pad? What about modifying a cooler? Any help would be so appreciated! :)

Here's his cage (lights not currently plugged in, excuse the random wires, and yes I'm going to take that branch out)cage.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kay, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry, but that pen isn't big enough to add a heated hide to it. It's probably really not even big enough for your tortoise. Maybe you can modify it? Like take off an end and add to it? Make it longer then have a heated hiding place added on to the extension.

Kay Rae

Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know I would like something bigger for him. I don't have current funds to build an entire new enclosure, but I could definitely remove an end panel and add a hide at the end. Thanks

Edit to add- Eventually I will have a whole section of the backyard to work with. I should start a tortoise savings account..... lol

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO :)
I don't want to come out like a jerk jumping all over you and scaring you away from this site but Not only is your cage too small I'd like to ask what you're feeding and what kind of lights you use. At 4-1/2 years old it should be WAY larger than that. Without knowing your specifics my guy is telling me something in its care is off causing the lack of growth.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I don't know it this would work but could you add a Rubbermaid tote to the side? And attach it ?
Welcome to the forum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
And silly me, I forgot to answer your original question.

A good cheep humid hide is a Tupperware container turned upside down with a door hole cut into the side and use damp sphagnum moss inside it. This type of hide is used for babies but yours is still small enough to use one.

Kay Rae

Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes I know he's small. I've questioned it for a while. He eats mostly grass, we don't use fertilizer or pesticides in the yard, the occasional greens. His lighting is sun the vast majority of the year in my area. In the house it's reptisun for uvb and incandescent bulb for heat. My mom was in possession of him for almost a year before I could move him back in with me (life changes) and she only fed him greens and hibiscus flowers and occasionally fruit (which I had words with her a few times about).

Kay Rae

Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm looking for heated hide for under 60 degree weather outside at night, but thanks for the humid hide suggestion :)

Kay Rae

Tampa Bay Area, FL
Update! Just had a conversation with the boyfriend about you guys' input about the cage being too small. He told me to figure out my plans, he'll help me get the best deal on materials, and we'll make it happen. Thanks everyone.
Now outdoor enclosure plan hunting.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A new enclosure sounds great.

I'd aim for a 10'x10'plot of land in the yard and build him the insulated 4'x4' heated house for him now. You'll need it eventually anyway.

For the enclosure, buy four, 2'x12's that are 10ft long.
Or price out cinder blocks for that size..2 rows at least

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I'm looking for heated hide for under 60 degree weather outside at night, but thanks for the humid hide suggestion :)
Gotca. I thought you wanted to put a hide in that enclosure. Have you see the night box thread? It show you have to build an insulated night box. I have a 125 lb guy living outside year around ant its in the upper 30s right now but his house is a toasty 80 degrees.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That heated house (Tom's best night box design yet..thread) is what many of us have copied. It's the insulated house I referred to in my previous post.

I built it 2'x4'x 2'tall but it's for a single male leopard. The 4'x4'x 2' tall size would be fine for your Sulcata into adulthood. You could opt for the radiator heater or a pig blanket/RHP combo.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Team Gomberg, how deep should those 2x12s be in the ground?

Personally, I'd set them right on top of the ground. Maybe add a little dirt around the bottom just so that there are no visible openings with light shinning through.

Many people still think you need to dig down into the ground. Maybe in some cases you do and maybe with some species...but I have never done it with the Leopards and I regularly see @Tom mention that he doesn't do it with the Sulcata either. They don't dig out like a dog...they dig down to burrow. That's a different subject and dealing with that is irrelevant whether or not the perimeter is buried.

If the 4 2x12's are screwed together, they'll hold firm in a nice square frame. Set it on the ground where you want, cap the corners and tah-dah. Pretty cheap frame with much more space :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just to add... The frame will give your tortoise some decent space but it won't protect him from dogs (if you have any) or night predators and you still need to solve your "heated hide" problem.

If you have dogs, keep them in another area or put some fencing up around the pen.
He needs to be brought in at night or locked up safely.
So, I suggest you make this frame, then add the insulated heated house next to it.
He'll have more room, the heated house to keep warm and you can lock him up safely at night.

Hope this helps...

Kay Rae

Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm thinking a space bigger than 10x10 with the hide inside it along an edge. I'll be making a fence and cover. Like how pools are fenced in, but 2x4s and hardware cloth.

Last edited: