Smart meters

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
What smart meters does everyone use in their enclosures?🙂hoping to get one with multiple sensors for a more accurate reading, the govee brand multipack is so expensive though and we’re in the middle of an entire enclosure upgrade, So was wondering what brands other people might use? The ones I’m seeing don’t have the best reviews😕
These are technically the best ones I think I’ve found IP rating wise, but again pretty expensive😣

Attachments

• 08F2B851-E10E-4FAB-A761-BFE86A9A9B7F.png
    08F2B851-E10E-4FAB-A761-BFE86A9A9B7F.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
See if you can find simple, battery powered ACCURITE temperature/humidity meters.
I used them when I had closed chamber enclosures and egg incubators.
They held up great and are especially good at doing ambient readings.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
See if you can find simple, battery powered ACCURITE temperature/humidity meters.
I used them when I had closed chamber enclosures and egg incubators.
They held up great and are especially good at doing ambient readings.
I did find these ones but the reviews really put me off🫤lots said it doesn’t update quick enough and isn’t entirely accurate, which seems to be a running theme in the reviews of the cheaper ones😣

Attachments

• B183F9A4-6B53-41E8-8ED2-1B1904EA698A.png
    B183F9A4-6B53-41E8-8ED2-1B1904EA698A.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 1

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I bought a digital home weather station from Aldi when they had them in stock. It has a probe which is in the hide at tort height near where he sleeps, and gives temp and humidity readings from inside that, and the main station gives the readings in his room - all on one screen. Battery operated and cordless (apart from the probe lead). Haven't seen them in Aldi for a while but you can get them online. I have a second which I use occasionally to make sure the first is still accurate. You can buy the ones that would sit in the enclosure but my tort kept knocking it over so I gave up on that.
You'll also find a digital temp gun very useful too for spot checking temps around his enclosure and on his shell - I bought mine from Amazon about £10.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I bought a digital home weather station from Aldi when they had them in stock. It has a probe which is in the hide at tort height near where he sleeps, and gives temp and humidity readings from inside that, and the main station gives the readings in his room - all on one screen. Battery operated and cordless (apart from the probe lead). Haven't seen them in Aldi for a while but you can get them online. I have a second which I use occasionally to make sure the first is still accurate.
You'll also find a digital temp gun very useful too for spot checking temps around his enclosure and on his shell - I bought mine from Amazon about £10.
I should’ve specified in my original post, that we’re looking to hopefully find a decent Wi-Fi one with phone alerts, unless that’s one you’re on about? I just can’t seem to find a cheaper option that has decent reviews, apart from the expensive govee’s and switchbot ones😕we do temp gun checks and will definitely be doing lots of those once we have the new viv up and running, we’ll also have two exo terra combometers running either end.
I’ll see if I can try and find the one you’re on about from Aldi, thanks for your reply😊

*edit* is it also best to go for multi sensors? Or would one do the trick?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. I wouldn't use the cheapest no-name sensors. It's about build quality and quality of software they run (push notifications, security and such).
2. It's not an urgent buy and can be added later.
3. With a pair of combometers one can be enough (to watch temperatures through the day/night and adjust equipment and for the notifications later on). Adding more is a personal preference: I have two, one in the colder part and another one with a display in the middle (just to avoid messing with combometer probes).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
1. I wouldn't use the cheapest no-name sensors. It's about build quality and quality of software they run (push notifications, security and such).
2. It's not an urgent buy and can be added later.
3. With a pair of combometers one can be enough (to watch temperatures through the day/night and adjust equipment and for the notifications later on). Adding more is a personal preference: I have two, one in the colder part and another one with a display in the middle (just to avoid messing with combometer probes).
I agree, I think I’ve decided I’m going to suggest one govee somewhere in the middle for now, and like you say we can add more later if needed😊