Smeagol and his new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As I promised, here are some pics of Smeagol and his new home. Just got it set up yesterday. I wanted to get some pics of him outside, but today is cold and stormy so these will have to do for now.

Attachments

• 100_1790.jpg
    100_1790.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_1796.jpg
    100_1796.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_1792.jpg
    100_1792.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_1793.jpg
    100_1793.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1799.jpg
    100_1799.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 48

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Tony, I know you have posted in thread regarding the care of Smeagol. Gotta love the name. Although I think he might be to cute for a Smeagol. I am glad you have his winter home set up. I like that he has a remote control to change the tv channels with LOL.
Really, it is nice that you have placed some grass in there for him to graze on. What type of substrait is that? And what do you have his basking spot set at? It so makes us breath a little easier when our shelled babies are on the road to recovery and are eating well. Congrats. Keep up the good work. and thanks for posting the pics. Love them.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Smeagol looks great, love his setup. I have several of those light weight poly stock tanks and LOVE them! Will he have an outdoor pen this spring and summer?

My only suggestion is in regards to diet, and I think its already been addressed in the other thread. ;) (lose the fruit and alfalfa, add chopped hay)

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, thanks yes it is very cool to see that he is doing so much better. The substrate is coconut wood? or something like that. His basking spot is at 80 under the light. He kind of has three temp spots in his pen, the hot/dry spot in the middle, and two cooler spots on each end (the far end a little warmer. So he has a choice of cooler (75-78), hot (80-85), or warmer (78-80). His water is on the warmer side. I'm going to put in an additional UV fluorescent light so he will have both going at the same time. One for warmth and one for the sunlight when he cant get the real thing. Right now we have had to alternate bulbs. Not the best scenario I know but that will be fixed in the next few days. He will absolutely have an outdoor pen. Eventually he will have a large one with his own shed/shelter/house for bad weather days with all the heat elements present. May be a separate structure or a converted garage have not committed to one idea yet, but it is in the works. For now, he will have a basic outdoor pen with lots of room to grow. Not sure yet how I'm going to put in a soaking pond. but that is for future when he gets bigger.

He does not like fruit....wont eat it. So its pretty much gone. Tanya thinks Gollum is cute....so it sort of fits.

And yes, he insisted on the remote......Likes to watch Franklin on Nick::D

You all are awesome! thanks again
-Tony

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
This is not my pic, but it is one I saved so I wouldnt forget the concept. This is a great soaking pond for large and small torts. You can make it as deep or as shallow as you need to. Some people put a drain in with gravel underneath for the water to run into, some just clean it with a push broom by pushing the water out and refilling. Scrubs the bottom at the same time for any algae growth.

Attachments

• 113937outdoor_pen_shot_of_pool_and_yard_1000x750-med.JPG
    113937outdoor_pen_shot_of_pool_and_yard_1000x750-med.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 32

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That is too cool, exactly what I had in mind. Thank you!!!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What a cute, and I love the name. Where are you located??

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks all. We live up in Chico CA. We purchased Smeagol in Redbluff (about 45 min. away)

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That is an aweome picture! That is exactly what I would like to do for my baby, but he is too little yet. Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.