Edible flowers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We purchased some "Edible Flowers" from the store thinking Smeagol would like them. However, I tried one of them and they had an unexpected hot aftertaste. They are meant for cakes, decorations, and salads and such. Are these OK to feed him, or not???

I thought it best to ask before giving him any. They look like common flowers found in gardens.

Thanks...

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They should be fine. I bought some of those also and my tort would only eat certain ones. Not sure if it was because of the type of flower or the color of the flower. She seemed to like the purple the best.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
They sound like nasturiums. Can you post a picture?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Remember, like all grocery store items, these are commercially grown and set for human consumption so they are most likely not organic. In my area store they are not organic so I take this into mind when feeding them to them. Mine prefer the pansies. So I seeded some for this spring but haven’t seen them yet.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Attachments

• 043222008003.jpg
    043222008003.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 10

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep, that’s the kind I have gotten. The nasturtiums do taste kind of peppery. I like those. These should be fine for the torts. I don't believe they have any more chemicals than store bought leaf lettuce. I would rinse them first and then pat them dry before feeding.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It looks to me like a mix of nasturtiums, pansies, and marigolds. All of these are good tort food (and people). Consider planting them for your torts along with violets.

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My tort will not touch any flowers but goes for leaves.

Paula

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well thanks all. Sounds like Ill let him try them. If it looks like they disagree with him, I can just discontinue.

Status
Not open for further replies.