Edible Flowers

Mavrik

I believe so, and I also think there a couple smaller ones in there too, based on colour and shape.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Where did you get that?? Grocery story?? Or flower shop??

Mavrik

My local grocery store sells them in little packages -- kind of expensive at 3$ a pop, but the shellings love them so I must sacrifice. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
My local grocery store sells them in little packages -- kind of expensive at 3$ a pop, but the shellings love them so I must sacrifice. :)
Let me see if my grocery story will let me sacrifice too!?!?!? Haha....Thanks. We bought 2.99 a head of endive for them all the time. but lot more in volume between endive then flower.

Mavrik

I give the grocery store enough money, the extra sacrifice is so I don't have to give them more, haha.

I have no issues spending that kind of money on the various fresh lettuces or even when they have cut dandelions, but like you said those heads of lettuce or bunches of weeds go a longer way than a package of flowers!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I grow most of my food for the torts in my yard but some time for the diversify of the feed. We will buy grocery store items. But...

When they "CHARGE" towards the flower....Priceless! ! !

Melissa9987

Pittsburgh, PA
How many flowers are too much? I have a little hatchling and he loves them!! I sprinkle TNT on it from Carolina Pet Supply too. Just wondering how often flowers could be offered?

Melissa9987

Pittsburgh, PA
He might not actually be a hatchling! I've had him for 5 months. Not sure when they are not considered hatchlings anymore haha :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
He might not actually be a hatchling! I've had him for 5 months. Not sure when they are not considered hatchlings anymore haha :)
Care to share a photo of your torts with us? Of cause, without the hatchling date, Any guess of ours are as good as what you like he to be.

Mavrik

I usually offer Che 5-6 small flowers with his greens, he's maybe pushing 4". If the flowers are bigger I pull one apart and give him the petals sprinkled on his lettuce. He seems to enjoy them either way, he's just a huge fan of his edible flowers, haha.

Melissa9987

Pittsburgh, PA
This is the first day I got him almost exactly 5 months ago. He's a little bigger now and 65 grams (if my scale is accurate).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 7

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
;);)
It's not just the photo quality, it's also hard to tell when the blooms are closed as some of them are in the photos, at least for me. lochroma can probably name them with his eyes tied behind his back. :D

No, I need my eyes free for this ;)

I think the light purple one is a Scabiosa - edible for your tortoise. There are snapdragons in several colors, including red yellow and pink. There is a carnation. I think the light green "daisy" may be a Zinnia"; also edible. I do not see any bachelor buttons, or any Hibiscus.
In general, flowers should be more of a treat than a staple; they contain more sugars and less vitamins. They're more of a dessert.

Last edited: