Smooth Shells, Pyramiding, or Normal Growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
I've been looking around at Leopard tortoise pictures. I see a lot with what appears to be pyramiding. I really haven't seen any with a smooth shell. So my question is do Leopards naturally have a shell with scutes that are raised? I want a Leopard really bad!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Some leopard tortoises pyramid in the wild, it seems more prevalent in the east African variety based on what I've seen in pictures. Specimens from South Africa do not seem to be as prone to pyramiding though. It is possible to raise both types with smooth shells though with good overall husbandry. Here are a couple of examples:

East African

Hello.jpg

South African

014.jpg

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Neal said:
Some leopard tortoises pyramid in the wild, it seems more prevalent in the east African variety based on what I've seen in pictures. Specimens from South Africa do not seem to be as prone to pyramiding though. It is possible to raise both types with smooth shells though with good overall husbandry. Here are a couple of examples:

East African

South African

Neal, those are perfect specimens! You are the man!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
austinl01 said:
I've been looking around at Leopard tortoise pictures. I see a lot with what appears to be pyramiding. I really haven't seen any with a smooth shell. So my question is do Leopards naturally have a shell with scutes that are raised? I want a Leopard really bad!

Leopards are notoriously difficult to grow smooth. Here on TFO we have several members that seem to have figured it out, but you won't see too many smooth ones outside of that. I was so disgusted with the hatchlings that I saw at the last show that I had to come home and look at pics of Neal's to make myself feel better.

It does not have to be this way, but the rest of the tortoise world just isn't catching on very fast.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
austinl01 said:

No, they should grow smooth like Neal's photos
Take a look at this thread, these are also smooth grown leopards.
Shows you from hatchlings and as they grow
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding-II-The-Leopards#axzz1eISjY0h8

Status
Not open for further replies.