Sneezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey all, my Hermann's hatchling has been making a "sneezing/hiccuping" sound. The nostrils are completely clear and this just started a few minutes ago. It sounds almost like a squeaking sound, so I went over and watched her and when she made it, she retracted her head back a bit then was normal.

So odd.

Is this a sign of IR? Or do tortoises sneeze/hiccup like Humans?

Thanks!

Jason

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

My baby Hermann does that too sometimes. Once, I saw a bubble comming out of hes nose so the vet gave her oral antibiotic fot 21 days. I gave her the last drop of antibiotic friday but she does that sound again. I'm curious to know if it is normal or not (the sound not the bubble). Does your tortoise does that ofter (the sound with her nose) Mine does it a couple of times per day.

Thanks

Isa

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No, this is the first time I've heard it. And she hasn't done it since. Maybe she just had a sneezing fit. I havent seen any bubbles.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hmm you do not hear anything at all when she breathe? I hope my Hermy is not sick again :(.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, now that I put her up to my ear (literally) I do hear a faint popping sound. Hmmm. I'll need to make a vet appointment for this week.

Strange thing is that her nostrils are completely clear.

Again, I hope this isn't RI.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
it's the same thing for my tortoise, I have to put her very close to hear the sound. Could you let me know what the vet says please?

Thanks

Isa

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I hope someone with more experience comments on this thread. ~hint~

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just a quick update: I made a vet appointment for Weds morning. I'll report what the vet has to say.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I went to the vet yesterday with mine (to see if she still has a RI) and the vet heard the noise when she is breathing and she told me that maybe it is normal. She is not sure yet, they made a throat culture and they will let me know if there are bacterias or not. Let us know what the vet told you.

Good luck

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tatooineboy, I think it is a good idea to have your little ones checked out by a vet better safe than sorry. Keep us updated Please.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Most definately :) We're going tomorrow. I'll keep ya updated!

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, I went the vet and had the check-up and she appears to be fine. The vet said that Tori had a good weight and wasn't having any difficulty in breathing, nor did she hear the popping sound I had heard earlier. When the vet went to pick-up Tori, she urinated a lot, hah. The vet mentioned how a lot of urine is good because it means they're well hydrated. She commented that I should continue to monitor her breathing, though, incase something does come up once again.

She weighs 26g currently, at about 2" across.

So, thanks for bearing with me :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Tatooineboy said:
Well, I went the vet and had the check-up and she appears to be fine. The vet said that Tori had a good weight and wasn't having any difficulty in breathing, nor did she hear the popping sound I had heard earlier. When the vet went to pick-up Tori, she urinated a lot, hah. The vet mentioned how a lot of urine is good because it means they're well hydrated. She commented that I should continue to monitor her breathing, though, incase something does come up once again.

She weighs 26g currently, at about 2" across.

So, thanks for bearing with me :)

I am really happy for your little one :)!!!! Do you still hear the sound when you put her near your ear?

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks!

Not today, no. The vet didn't hear it either. So either it was just a temporary thing, or perhaps she was breathing so fast when getting transported to the office, I'm not sure. I've bumped up hers slightly and will continue to put more water into the dish. That way she'll be a little warmer with plenty of liquids which she freely drinks on her own.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Wonderful news, Tatooineboy, that Tori is doing great. Now you can breathe easier and spend your time enjoying her instead of worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.