Anna is Sneezing?

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
She does seem totally fine now. I think I'm a bit worried because I'm about to go out of town for two days, and I don't have anyone lined up to watch Anna. She usually eats twice a day, and I don't have an automatic light, so I'm wondering if I should find someone. Otherwise I think I'll be worried.
What do you guys do when you leave town?
Can you buy one of those timers? that turn the lights off and on at a certain times? that would be more helpful. They have them at petstores and I heard at hardware stores also.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Also, Ive just seen your video and I've never seen that either. It looks like it may be something in her throat, very small, but I'm not sure either. I would recommend that if no one knows and it still makes you feel uneasy (i know I would be worried too) I would take her to a vet, it could be something we can't see and may be affecting her slowly, especially if you say its happening more frequently.
When my russian and a little something stuck in his throat, he also tucked his head in his shell quickly. And the noise he made kind of sounded like the noise they make when they're mating, but his mouth was open until he got it out (took about 5 seconds).
Don't freak out yet, but do keep a close eye on her.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the great words and great advice! Anna has been much better all day today. She kept me up worried very late last night (!!); but she hasn't made the noise or sneezed or acted in any way unhealthy all day today. We have a mobile vet who comes to my apartment, and if Anna seems to be getting worse, he will get a frantic call from me.

Meantime, I have three hypotheses:

1. It has to do with the Fogger I use. Has anyone else had problems with Zoo Med? I love it because it's basically the only way to get humidity > 70%, Anna seems to have so much more energy when she's under the mist. It does wonders for her complexion, and makes her look like a Tortoise fashion model. ON THE OTHER HAND, I've noticed that she sometimes shoos the mist away like with her face. Like violently. (My girlfriend laughs at Anna because she looks like a mental patient!) But, it's possible something (I mean, it's just water!) got into her nose or throat and has caused the squeaking/sneezing.

2. Maybe it's the Mazuri. Anna loves it, but I don't feed more than once a week anymore because it gives her gas and makes her constipated in high doses. I also thing the heavy protein is partly responsible for her astronomical growth rate @ 3'' SCL per year. But I also maybe preparing it wrong. The Mazuri. I usually let Anna eat them whole, and this may be a bad idea. Even tho I wet them down for her, she sometimes looks like she's struggling the get a whole one in her mouth.

3. Anna is a *very* sensitive tort. She can freak out in new environments; she doesn't like it when lots of people approach her outside, she gets VERY irritable if I am eating a meal and she's not getting fed. [She sometimes makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to sit down and eat a solid meal, because if I'm eating and she isn't, all hell will break loose. I mean starts banging on the glass, punching her head against it, looking up and down, nose to the substrate as if she's desperately trying to find something, anything, just to demonstrate how neglectful I am. Honestly, I cannot even imagine if she had to share with other torts. Let me put it this way, I've been running this experiment where I put Anna in front of the mirror--just to see what she will do. With little ceremony, she bites at her own reflection!!]

Maybe I'm just babying her too much. Maybe that is the real conclusion.
. ,

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thanks for all the great words and great advice! Anna has been much better all day today. She kept me up worried very late last night (!!); but she hasn't made the noise or sneezed or acted in any way unhealthy all day today. We have a mobile vet who comes to my apartment, and if Anna seems to be getting worse, he will get a frantic call from me.

Meantime, I have three hypotheses:

3. Anna is a *very* sensitive tort. She can freak out in new environments; she doesn't like it when lots of people approach her outside, she gets VERY irritable if I am eating a meal and she's not getting fed. [She sometimes makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to sit down and eat a solid meal, because if I'm eating and she isn't, all hell will break loose. I mean starts banging on the glass, punching her head against it, looking up and down, nose to the substrate as if she's desperately trying to find something, anything, just to demonstrate how neglectful I am. Honestly, I cannot even imagine if she had to share with other torts. Let me put it this way, I've been running this experiment where I put Anna in front of the mirror--just to see what she will do. With little ceremony, she bites at her own reflection!!]

Maybe I'm just babying her too much. Maybe that is the real conclusion.
. ,

Thats great shes been doing better.
I dont use the fogger or mazuri so i dont have any input on that.
But tortoises do "freak out" in new environments, or around a crowd of people, especially if theyre not use to it. It can be stressful for them.
I keep my Russians in my room so i dont see them when i eat & vice versa. So i dont have that problem. But in the mornings, my tortoises climb and bang their shells against the glass until i feed them. It yse to be both of them but now its just max. He's actually chipped his shell that way :( but still does it. Khaleesi use to eat the leftover greens from yesterday until i got up, but since Max has gotten better, she just lets him wake me for food.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Help!!!

I just sent the two videos to my herp vet. On the basis of those videos, he speculated that it could be bacterial infection, fungal, parasites, heart disease or cancer!!!! He couldn't say, without looking at her, whether he thought it'd be life-threatening.

But he can't see her until next Wednesday! He says she'll be okay until then. But I am freaking out. What do I do? I can't find any other reputable herp docs in Chicago, and I'm freaking out. Please, if anyone has any additional ideas, we will both be so indebted!!!!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
If you go to tortoise topics and go to vet list, look for Illinois, there are a list of vets in that state. Try not to worry too much until you know what the problem really is , though i know thats hard. For now, just keep her temps steady, and keep soaking her & feeding her a good diet. Thats all i could think of. Im still new to all this still though. Hopefully someone else has more advice for you.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Help!!!

I just sent the two videos of Anna to my herp vet. On the basis of those videos, he speculated that Anna could have bacterial infection, fungal, parasites, heart disease or cancer!!!! He couldn't say, without looking at her, whether he thought it'd be life-threatening.

But he can't see Anna until next Wednesday! He says she'll be okay until then. But I am freaking out. What do I do? I can't find any other reputable herp docs in Chicago, and I'm freaking out. Please, if anyone has any additional ideas, we will both be so indebted!!!!

See below for two videos. She has all the energy in the world, she's eating, she's going to the bathroom, no nasal discharge, otherwise totally fine. Except these weird squeaking/duck sounds and the sneezing thing when she retracts into her shell. Ideas??!! Thanks so much!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_WpBfDdSbU0ZHhMbVdRRUpjbzQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_WpBfDdSbU0S0lheVJpRkRUTk0

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Help!!!

I just sent the two videos of Anna to my herp vet. On the basis of those videos, he speculated that Anna could have bacterial infection, fungal, parasites, heart disease or cancer!!!! He couldn't say, without looking at her, whether he thought it'd be life-threatening.

But he can't see Anna until next Wednesday! He says she'll be okay until then. But I am freaking out. What do I do? I can't find any other reputable herp docs in Chicago, and I'm freaking out. Please, if anyone has any additional ideas, we will both be so indebted!!!!

See below for two videos. She has all the energy in the world, she's eating, she's going to the bathroom, no nasal discharge, otherwise totally fine. Except these weird squeaking/duck sounds and the sneezing thing when she retracts into her shell. Ideas??!! Thanks so much!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_WpBfDdSbU0ZHhMbVdRRUpjbzQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_WpBfDdSbU0S0lheVJpRkRUTk0

Please take a deep breath and relax your nerves :D That tortoise does not look nor appear ill....tortoise cluck, they are vocal animals:

http://www.quijano.net/tq/turtlesounds.html

So if a vet says that the tortoise may have something from Bacterial Infection all the way to Cancer....I would seriously research a new exotic/reptile vet that has direct tortoise experience...however, I would not bring that tortoise to a vet at this point....clucking is normal, sneezing is also normal, now if the sneezing was companied with mucus from the nose, lethargic behavior and not interest in food nor water nor activity then perhaps a second look by a "good" vet would be alright...

What is the temp during the day that you are keeping this tortoise at?
What is the temp during the night that you are keeping this tortoise at?
What is the level/source of humidity you are enclosing this tortoise in?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Help!!!

I just sent the two videos of Anna to my herp vet. On the basis of those videos, he speculated that Anna could have bacterial infection, fungal, parasites, heart disease or cancer!!!!
And breathe.

1. He speculated. He would as he hasn't properly examined the animal. It wouldn't be proper of him professionally to do otherwise.

2. That's a VERY wide range of possibles all of which are scary. Equally it could be nothing to worry about.

Somewhere we have the instructions for assembling a basketball net which, at every opportunity, say that you could die if you don't follow them to the letter. It's the manufacturer protecting their back; the vet is protecting theirs.

If your tort is otherwise eating and behaving normally and weight is steady then the chances are that it's nothing too serious.

Accept the appointment, go see the vet and get a professional opinion.

I will tag @deadheadvet, @Yvonne G and @Tom to take a look at your video for ideas in the hope they can help.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I don't think it is very professional for the vet to draw these conclusions based on this videos. Infection and cancer are on every list for every symptom but that doesn't mean they are very probable causes. It's like you bring your kid to the doctor for sneezing and coughing and the first thing he says it could be cancer. Yeah, it COULD be but the chances are very small...

I've looked at them and I wouldn't be very worried. Torts always make a hissing sound when they pull their head in, because air is expelled from their body. Mine does it when he is scared of something, like when I suddenly approach him. Does Anna do this all the time or only when you are near? You did say she's a sensitive tort, could she be a little scared?

I've heard more people describe the clucking sound, this isn't abnormal for redfoots either I believe. Is she's otherwise healthy, active, eating etc. I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Joseph K

5 Year Member
You guys are the best!!!!

I was feeling a bit down (from this and from just having finished my PhD dissertation and not knowing, really, what to do with myself now)...
But I decided to check in with the Forum and, as always, you guys cheered me up!!

First, Angela, I listened to those sounds and Anna's sounds ALMOST exactly like the one that corresponds to red-foots. This *immediately* assuages some of my worst fears. Parenthetically, that is an AWESOME site. I had no idea how wide the range is for Tortoise musical pitch and oratory skills :).
Second, to answer your questions, her daytime temp is 80-90 or 95 (in basking); nighttime is about 70-85; and humidity fluctuates a lot, depending on whether we're using the mister. With the mister it's like 80%; without it, humidity sometimes dips as low as 50%.

JoesMum & Linhdan, thanks so much for your words! Very funny about the basketball net. The doctor said in the text that he listened to the sound, and that his "sense" is that it's probably a respiratory infection. He then went on to list half a dozen so-called possibilities, which included heart disease, polyps, and full-blown cancer. Based on what you guys are saying and you, too, Amanda (and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, btw!!), it sounds like Anna's not manifesting like obvious infection symptoms either. Which is to say, it could be fear, could be emotional sensitivity, could be a bit of de-hydration, could be any number of non-ER-non-Freak-Out-Cancel-Work-For-The-Day-Start-Calling-Cemeteries-type stuff. [All of which I would probably do for Anna if I found out this is life-threatening. ]

If you guys saw and spent time with Anna, you'd feel the same way. Which you probably do about your torts. [And, the worst thing--and one reason this Forum just plain rocks--is that if something ever does happen, NOBODY understands the loss; they can't imagine that we feel for these cold-blooded animals (!!) the same love and tenderness that dog or cat owners feel. And that we may even feel more attached because tortoises live like 50 years whereas dogs come and go in like half a second, and there's something almost like spiritual about the way our tortoises look at us and interact. It's hard to put my finger on it, but basically nobody has any idea, like at all. But you guys do.

And in the day-to-day trenches of adult life, that really does mean a lot.

Thanks again, folks.
Will keep you posted.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
p.s. Hilarious about taking the child to the doctor. Totally! If I took my future child to the pediatrician with a cough and he's like, "Well it could be cancer," I'd probably walk out of there or just punch that guy right in the face. Too funny.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
To be honest if you have just completed your thesis, it's a wonder you are capable if any rational thought whatsoever. My daughter was a total wreck after hers. She was fine by the way :D

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you are concerned, get the nighttime temperature up so it's consistently over 80F. Then you can safely keep your humidity higher too. I would not let a tortoise with RI like symptoms get below 80F, day or night.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
You've heard of a book worm; Anna is a book tortoise! She's got so much energy today. It's sweet potato day!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You guys are the best!!!!

I was feeling a bit down (from this and from just having finished my PhD dissertation and not knowing, really, what to do with myself now)...
But I decided to check in with the Forum and, as always, you guys cheered me up!!

First, Angela, I listened to those sounds and Anna's sounds ALMOST exactly like the one that corresponds to red-foots. This *immediately* assuages some of my worst fears. Parenthetically, that is an AWESOME site. I had no idea how wide the range is for Tortoise musical pitch and oratory skills :).
Second, to answer your questions, her daytime temp is 80-90 or 95 (in basking); nighttime is about 70-85; and humidity fluctuates a lot, depending on whether we're using the mister. With the mister it's like 80%; without it, humidity sometimes dips as low as 50%.

JoesMum & Linhdan, thanks so much for your words! Very funny about the basketball net. The doctor said in the text that he listened to the sound, and that his "sense" is that it's probably a respiratory infection. He then went on to list half a dozen so-called possibilities, which included heart disease, polyps, and full-blown cancer. Based on what you guys are saying and you, too, Amanda (and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, btw!!), it sounds like Anna's not manifesting like obvious infection symptoms either. Which is to say, it could be fear, could be emotional sensitivity, could be a bit of de-hydration, could be any number of non-ER-non-Freak-Out-Cancel-Work-For-The-Day-Start-Calling-Cemeteries-type stuff. [All of which I would probably do for Anna if I found out this is life-threatening. ]

If you guys saw and spent time with Anna, you'd feel the same way. Which you probably do about your torts. [And, the worst thing--and one reason this Forum just plain rocks--is that if something ever does happen, NOBODY understands the loss; they can't imagine that we feel for these cold-blooded animals (!!) the same love and tenderness that dog or cat owners feel. And that we may even feel more attached because tortoises live like 50 years whereas dogs come and go in like half a second, and there's something almost like spiritual about the way our tortoises look at us and interact. It's hard to put my finger on it, but basically nobody has any idea, like at all. But you guys do.

And in the day-to-day trenches of adult life, that really does mean a lot.

Thanks again, folks.
Will keep you posted.

Hi...if you keep the humidity up in the 80 percent during the day and that is generated primarily by misting...then by the time night comes the humidity likely has decreased (if the soil itself is not wet) and the temps can go down a bit...but I personally would not allow the night temps to drop below 80....maybe 78 if like I shared, the soil is not wet....if the soil is kept wet/moist then I absolutely would not let the day nor night temps drop below 80....you can also use a really warm humid hide/area in the enclosure that never falls below 80, ever. and play a bit with the rest of the enclosure to set up/offer some micro climates....

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Okay, I just looked at the thermostat, and we are in the 90s. I'm not sure it's ever really below 80. Anna's been munching and relaxing most of the day and evening.

And here she is, now, looking for food at 3 AM!

One thing I wonder is if it's possible she got something stuck in her nose? It wouldn't explain why this noise has come and gone, but I will say that she doesn't look happy when she makes the squeak. She only made it twice today in the several hours I've been home.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tort is wandering round at 3am then it suggests that it's not dark... and possibly too warm. You tort does require complete darkness to sleep. If she's in a room that stays light untli this sort of time, her accommodation needs moving or you need to go to bed earlier!

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Anna takes after her father; she is a night owl. As for darkness, I've heard on good authority that for a few days it might be worth keeping her light ON in the service of BAKING this thing out of her system.

p.s. Don't worry about Anna's sleep schedule. She wakes up late. Like 1 PM.