So flusterated about to just give up :(

AquaIce

Location (City and/or State)
Dunlap, IN
ok so I getting flusterated :( so I covered the whole top of the tank in foil. Well I know it’s keeping the heat in because it got up to 102 degrease in the middle of the tank. Way to hot! I hate to see how hot it was in the hot spot. That was with the heat source and the 100w bulb which I know they don’t need basking light for red foot but it was helping keep the heat up when the top was up covered. Well now it’s keeping the heat in obviously but the humidity still sucks. I had the whole floor covered in moss and even then when I first put it in the humidity was low. I was told that was to much moss so I just put some in the hide and around the water source. And I cut off the 100w since it was getting way to hot in there. Still no humidity even when I have water in there and the moss damp. What am I doing wrong? I mean he doesn’t seem to mind to much he is eating and loves to dog and hide which I know is normal. Just trying so hard and can get it right. I have been misting and filling the water 3-4 times a day because it’s evaporated and moss has dried out. I don’t rly want to add a humidifier :( if you need more pics please let me know. I posted pics in moss update if need reference before I removed more moss.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate, then mix it up with my hand to get all of it wet. Add more water as needed, usually about weekly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. The light quickly dries out the top layer of substrate, but it stays moist underneath.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
You put a little water in the mossy areas, then let the moss absorb it upwards like a sponge. Let it sit a little bit. Then stick your finger into the moss to feel if it's subtly moist underneath, while dryer on the top! Then once you are used to it, you can just tell by feel if it's moist enough that way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are fighting the fight that everyone fights with an open top. Its an unwinable vicious cycle and when you finally switch to a closed chamber, you will be astounded at how easy and efficient it is.

You have enough heat, but all the heat dries everything out. So you cover the top. But when you cover the top all that heat you needed with an open top is too much, so the whole thing over heats. So you put in lower wattage heat lamps, but you still can't get the humidity up because of the open top and the chimney effect caused by having the lights outside the enclosure. So then you add a humidifier, but the humidifier cool things too much, so you need more heat again… Round and round, chasing your tail, but you never catch it. I did this for years. It does not work. You are fighting physics.

Buy or build a closed chamber with the lights inside. Your heat and humidity will be contained and not drifting up into the room. You will need very little heat and electricity since you are only heating a relatively small space and not the entire room. Your substrate will remain dry-ish on top which is good for your tortoises plastron, but the humidity will stay high which is good for your tortoise's carapace.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Until you can build another enclosure, use a sick clear shower curtain over the top including over the lights. You can put tinfoil over the fixtures to keep the shower curtain from burning. This will keep in heat and humidity.

cwasylow

SD
alternatively, maybe covering part of the top instead of the whole top. I have a wire screen topper, which isnt great for holding humidity or heat of course, but I've wrapped about half of it and have kept dependable heat and humidity (with occasional mistings)

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
alternatively, maybe covering part of the top instead of the whole top. I have a wire screen topper, which isnt great for holding humidity or heat of course, but I've wrapped about half of it and have kept dependable heat and humidity (with occasional mistings)
I tried that but I think I wasn’t getting the sub wet enough? @cwasylow so you have a pic of your set up and how do you keep your humidity up? This is just s temp enclosure untill we can build him a box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I tried that but I think I wasn’t getting the sub wet enough? @cwasylow so you have a pic of your set up and how do you keep your humidity up? This is just s temp enclosure untill we can build him a box.

Be cautious making the substrate too wet under a RF. They are prone to shell rot.

I've seen other members post pics of small portable indoor greenhouses before. They look like they are around 4x4x4 feet. They put their current open table inside the little plastic greenhouse and it effectively stops the room air from mixing with the enclosure air. This might work as a temporary measure for you.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Be cautious making the substrate too wet under a RF. They are prone to shell rot.

I've seen other members post pics of small portable indoor greenhouses before. They look like they are around 4x4x4 feet. They put their current open table inside the little plastic greenhouse and it effectively stops the room air from mixing with the enclosure air. This might work as a temporary measure for you.

Something like this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/253233186878

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
@Tom where should my water source be in reference to the heat / light I can’t seem to keep water in the bowl all of the sudden and how moist should the sub be for red roots he seemed a lot happier that I did wet it down ( I used warm water and turned it all with my hands so it was just damp not wet and has been out moving around all up untill now. I ordered one of those greenhouses to try and my humidity is still crap so I hope he will be fine untill it comes in so I can try it out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In a tropical enclosure where you keep the whole thing warm, water bowl placement isn't critical. Generally, I prefer to put the water bowl under the CHE. This keeps the water warmer and it adds to humidity.

You said you can't keep water in the bowl. If you are using a terra cotta saucer, which I think is the best thing for this purpose, some of them seep. I find the ratio to be around 1 in 10 are seepers. I use the seepers for food and get a new one for water.

And don't worry too much about the humidity while you are working on solving this issue. Short term dryness is not a big deal, especially if you are soaking daily. The problem with dryness is that it will cause pyramiding. A couple of dry weeks should do very little harm, if any. If its too dry for months or years, you will see some more significant pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But he digs and hides way down in there where it is damp so that is why I was asking how damp is to damp lol
Once you are using a closed chamber, you keep the substrate just damp enough to hold humidity where you need it. If they dig down into the moister depths of the substrate, that is okay, as long as the top layer stays relatively dry-ish, most of the time. It is constant wetness and constant contact with wet substrate that causes shell rot in these guys. Some wetness some of the time is not harmful at all.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Once you are using a closed chamber, you keep the substrate just damp enough to hold humidity where you need it. If they dig down into the moister depths of the substrate, that is okay, as long as the top layer stays relatively dry-ish, most of the time. It is constant wetness and constant contact with wet substrate that causes shell rot in these guys. Some wetness some of the time is not harmful at all.
Thank you Tom :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom :)

You are welcome. I know it can be frustrating at first, but you are among friends here and we all want to help and make sure your tortoise keeping experience is as positive as possible. Once you have the right enclosure, things are sooooo much easier and less stressful.

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
First let me say i am not an expert but also a beginner with a partially open top enclosure. I have followed the advice of Yvonne g and saw a HUGE difference. I stopped spraying and started putting a little water in each morning during his bath and turning the soil! Worked WAY better. I also soak the moss in a little warm water instead of spraying and it holds moisture for the entire day. I also added a cool mist humidifier to the room and just keep the door shut. I figure if i fight the humidity fight in the whole room it would be easier! And it helped a lot! We have a few animals in the same room who need the humidity so i was killing multiple birds with one stone.

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
First let me say i am not an expert but also a beginner with a partially open top enclosure. I have followed the advice of Yvonne g and saw a HUGE difference. I stopped spraying and started putting a little water in each morning during his bath and turning the soil! Worked WAY better. I also soak the moss in a little warm water instead of spraying and it holds moisture for the entire day. I also added a cool mist humidifier to the room and just keep the door shut. I figure if i fight the humidity fight this winter while the heat is on, in the whole room it would be easier! And it helped a lot! We have a few animals in the same room who need the humidity so i was killing multiple birds with one stone.