So here is my plan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftlock

5 Year Member
I just moved moved to Florida, and I noticed the abundance of native reptiles and though it might be time to finally get that pet reptile. I thought since we have some native species, I could landscape a nice habitat into the front of my house that it could be stay in, kinda like a mini zoo in the front of my house.

Now I know absolutely nothing about these animals. but I have owned dogs all my life and consider myself a responsible pet owner. I always wanted to have a friendly pet reptile and the tortoise seems like a good choice. I don't like the idea of keeping an animal caged up all the time. I feel i could give the animal best standard of living be keeping it outside in the habitat the majority of the time and when it has to come in keep it in a smaller patio enclosure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I would be cautious about putting anything out front, I prefer the backyard.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you cant legally keep the native species, but you live in a good area for others. do you have a back yard? most of us dont keep them in 'cages', but large outdoor enclosures. They have to be contained, like a zoo, but you can do it in a way that is very pleasing to see and feel like that are in cages.
Front yards where other people can see them... would not be a good idea. people Steal. they also try to feed things that would not be safe or healthy to your tort.

swiftlock

5 Year Member
We literally spend 90 percent of the day in the garage and outside the front of the house. I'm about to landscape and thought it would be could to make a really nice large habitat across the front of my house. I'm gonna put in a water feature and plants and other things it might like. With a like a layer of pavers under whatever substrate it is required and of course a wall. And when we aren't at home or at night I could put it in our enclosed patio room. I'm thinking I'll make a 4'x4' open box enclosure for it in there.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
I agree the backyard is best for the safety of your tort. There are many species that do well here. Do you have an idea of what size you would like it to be?

swiftlock

5 Year Member
Location aside, it seems like this is something that might work. My next question is species and caresheets, is there species that would live comfortably with a minimum of artificial climate equipment since it would be spending its time mostly outside with us or in the sun room.

Are there breeders or even rescues like there is with dogs? I dont want to purchase one from a retail store if i can.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sometime's it's not a good idea to advertise to the public that you have a animal like a tortoise because of theft issues.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
There ae rescues you can get one from and there are breeders here on the forum. Also in FL (especially central FL) there are usually always people listing their torts on craigslist. As far as size of the tort goes, that will depend on the amount of space you have. What I see most commonly here is sulcatas, russians, and redfoots.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jaizei said:
I would be cautious about putting anything out front, I prefer the backyard.

Agreed, unless there's a very secure fence and a very big guard dog.

swiftlock, if I lived in Florida, I'd go w/ a redfoot...the climate agrees with 'em.

Or, if I had the room, either a Galapagos or an Aldabra giant tortoise...how cool would that be? :p

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
im in central fl too! i just aquired 2 sulcatas. i love! LOVE!! LOVE!!!! their personalities, they will follow you around the yard like a puppy, really sweet and social little guys. Ive had water turtles before and when ever you walked up they would run and hide... not these guys, if you wake them up and they'll follow you all day! Ive had Iguanas too.. no match in personality there either! but i also agree that they should be kept in a safe place.... ie.. dont leave them unsupervised. people will steal and sell them to who ever, for a quick buck. im in brevard county, there is an exotic pet store here that may work with rescues... (i could be making this up but its worth asking them) called Incredible Pets in Melbourne. aslo, craigslist has sulcatas on there all the time. also try the local ASPCA and Humaine society.... i think its great to rescue! but if you cant rescue one then buy it. Just FYI this forum has been my best scource of information on the internet! Real people with REAL EXPERIENCE! lots of enthusiasts on here... not sales people. i like that everyone tells you their best opinions from personal experience. :) good luck!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
We love pics of enclosures, make sure you post when you build yours:) I also think a redfoot would do great in your location and I think there are some for sale now on the forum :)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Welcome to the forum. I suggest whatever you end up getting do your extensive research on that species and their care. I studied over a year before I bought my first reptile.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. make sure you have enough room for whatever you plan on getting.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Swiftlock, be sure to make provisions to bring the animal inside or provide a closed heated hide during the cold days/nights. This may be FL but it still gets too cold (~50° F ) for almost any tort. If you can, make the enclosure as large as possible (or at least plan for that eventuality), a 4' x 4' enclosure will house a tort comfortably only until it grows to about 4 - 6 inches. Remember, part of the floor space will be occupied by a hide, water bowl, etc.

Do your research, decide on a species, prepare the enclosure and 'emergency' habitat, locate a vendor or rescue, acquire the specimen(s)* and enjoy!

*Note: Tortoises have been proven to be addictive! Once your hooked, it's too late!! You WILL need more... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.