So I found this guy wandering around...

GHOST TEQUILA

Location (City and/or State)
EAST COAST
photo.JPG photo.JPG For the past few days I've been seeing turtles wandering around my job in Poughkeepsie, NY (between NYC & Albany) in a foresty type of area. There is a small, boggy area of water that does support different animals nearby.

Very healthy looking guy but no idea what species. He scrambled when I approached to get him off the road. Any 411 on this rascal?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Box turtle, eastern, or 3 toed

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm thinking 3 toed. Has it been raining lately where you work? Rain tends to make these guys active.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Probably native. leave them be unless they are in the road then move them off to the side that they were facing.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ya the rain probably brought them out, also it's the time of year for Box Turtle "Relations" he/she might of just been looking for a date :) That's awesome that you live in an area where you still see these guys frequently too.

GHOST TEQUILA

EAST COAST
I helped that rascal yesterday. Now get this, today I witnessed 2 big snapping turtles also on 2 different roads getting assistance to cross. The second snapper hissed at me & I'm not sure but it sounded a little anti-Semitic. Obviously, we're not gonna be friends after that.

Yeah, I'm thinking the rain is what going on here. Never seen so much activity before.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I helped that rascal yesterday. Now get this, today I witnessed 2 big snapping turtles also on 2 different roads getting assistance to cross. The second snapper hissed at me & I'm not sure but it sounded a little anti-Semitic. Obviously, we're not gonna be friends after that.

Yeah, I'm thinking the rain is what going on here. Never seen so much activity before.
Lmao. That's funny stuff

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Healthy looking rascal too. Thankfully, he wanted nothing to do with me & quickly got to stepping. Fast was he.
And I'm guessing he wasn't a bigot like the snapper?

DE42

Got one like that out of the road on my way to work this morning. They are beautiful turtles.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No het set in his shell. He was upside down in the road and had some scuff marks on one side. I think he was grazed by a car.
Awesome you were there to help him out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's an eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) and they're protected in N.Y.