So with grass...

Zouwu

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City Utah
I can either grow this in a pot through the winter to give him clippings....grow this in the tank for him to munch on...or just cut it all and feed it to him...correct?

The snow melted and this is the last grass clump until spring. I have a leopard sulcata.KIMG2038.jpeg

TortoiseRacket

New York
Any of the abouve options would be fine. If you do feed it all at once, petco and petsmart have something called “cat grass” that you can feed to your tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depending on the size of your tortoise that wont last long if you give it all to him.
I would give clippings and try to keep it growing

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have a leopard sulcata? Hm. . . interesting.

I would plant that in a pot and keep the pot in BRIGHT light, only clipping off the tips to feed.

Chasen

Galveston
I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you have a leo and a sully? A cross of those two? Or you think that's what either of those two are called? I'm going to guess that you have a tort that's quite young still? I only say that because you mentioned a tank. With that said, I would also give clippings from it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd go get a fresh plot from the pet store of Whole Foods.

Zouwu

Salt Lake City Utah
I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you have a leo and a sully? A cross of those two? Or you think that's what either of those two are called? I'm going to guess that you have a tort that's quite young still? I only say that because you mentioned a tank. With that said, I would also give clippings from it.
Lol no I'm just a noob and couldn't tell what the difference is because their diet requirements seem the same. He is a leopard tortoise a friend gave me, few years old.

I use tank out of habit from my other pets here is a pic of him and his enclosure. Sorry for the confusion still new at this one.

And thanks for the advice everyone :)1550937809450.jpeg1550937825696.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's too big to be living in that enclosure. He needs much more space to be able to move around. Tortoises need exercise/walking in order to keep the digestive tract in good working order.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lol no I'm just a noob and couldn't tell what the difference is because their diet requirements seem the same.

Diet requirements are not the same for regular leopards and sulcatas. Leopards tend to eat a lot less grass, and more succulents. Leopards also need a lot more leaves, broad leaf weeds, and flowers. Sulcatas should eat mostly grass, or grass hay, as adults.

Zouwu

Salt Lake City Utah
Diet requirements are not the same for regular leopards and sulcatas. Leopards tend to eat a lot less grass, and more succulents. Leopards also need a lot more leaves, broad leaf weeds, and flowers. Sulcatas should eat mostly grass, or grass hay, as adults.
The feeding for leopard tortoises in the care sheets is a link to the sulcata feeding sheet. Can you refer me to better information?

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Growing grass is very hard indoor or in the tank, because it just doesn't have enough sunlight... I tried. I even bought full spectrum growing light and my grass still looks miserable.:(

Zouwu

Salt Lake City Utah
Growing grass is very hard indoor or in the tank, because it just doesn't have enough sunlight... I tried. I even bought full spectrum growing light and my grass still looks miserable.:(
Yeah it is. Besides my garden i have other vivariums and terrariums and I also practice Bonsai. (Bit of a green thumb lol) but so far so good, added some cat grass today but mostly sticking with broad leaf greens at the moment. His favorite seems to be Romain lettuce and kale but I am trying to add variety: collard, mustard, plantain etc but he doesn't seem interested in them.

I restocked on cuttlebone and am ordering TNT and the...mazi stuff now. Once flowers hit my area I'll put those in. For leopards should I still collect the weeds in the yard. Is yarrow any good for them?