Soaking box turtles in water

NikkiW18

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
hello, my box turtle is about a year old and I was wondering at about what age you could stop soaking the boxie in water every other day. Thank you!

jakskillz

Georgia
Okay so I can begin to soak him weekly instead of every other day?

Has his shell hardened up yet? Can you post a pic? Fully hardened shells will look like an adults while younger turtles will have a more leathery appearance. High humidity is important for growth so ensure it has that in its enclosure

NikkiW18

Arizona
Has his shell hardened up yet? Can you post a pic? Fully hardened shells will look like an adults while younger turtles will have a more leathery appearance. High humidity is important for growth so ensure it has that in its enclosure
Here is the picture of him. And yes I keep his soil moistened!

Attachments

• 204FA76D-A8BA-4C81-8390-6044603ED091.jpeg
    204FA76D-A8BA-4C81-8390-6044603ED091.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Over the years, I've found a half moist land and half water habitat is ideal for yearlings and juveniles. This gives them the opportunity to soak on their own time(usually to stimulate defecation), allows them to bask in the water, and helps with proper shell growth. However, I still soak them once or twice a week to feed them pellets outside of their habitat.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Over the years, I've found a half moist land and half water habitat is ideal for yearlings and juveniles. This gives them the opportunity to soak on their own time(usually to stimulate defecation), allows them to bask in the water, and helps with proper shell growth. However, I still soak them once or twice a week to feed them pellets outside of their habitat.

I always keep hatchlings in a semi aquatic tank for the first two years. Shallow water throughout with lots of rocks to climb out and dry off. They chose to spend most of their time in the water. Then around two years i would put a container inside with coconut fiber in it. With enough rocks along the edge to climb in and out. Now that my turtle is older it is full coconut fiber/forrest floor mixture with a large water pan. I never feed inside the enclosure. I use a rubbermaid shoebox size container. I feed the turtle in there one day. Next day quick warm water soak. Next day nothing. Next day feed. Next day soak. Next day nothing... and so on. It has seemed to work so far.

NikkiW18

Arizona
I always keep hatchlings in a semi aquatic tank for the first two years. Shallow water throughout with lots of rocks to climb out and dry off. They chose to spend most of their time in the water. Then around two years i would put a container inside with coconut fiber in it. With enough rocks along the edge to climb in and out. Now that my turtle is older it is full coconut fiber/forrest floor mixture with a large water pan. I never feed inside the enclosure. I use a rubbermaid shoebox size container. I feed the turtle in there one day. Next day quick warm water soak. Next day nothing. Next day feed. Next day soak. Next day nothing... and so on. It has seemed to work so far.
Awesome thank you!

NikkiW18

Arizona
Thank you!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've always had good luck raising young turtle in soaking wet sphagnum moss ....... I just dug these up from outside and brought them in the house to get them eating , been a long winter , they were near the top , coldest april in 42yrs ....... probably about the same age as the one you got ......the moss can be rinsed/cleaned 3-4 times in a bucket of water before it breaks down , clean it like you would a sponge .....

Aviary_Photo_131690845659763054.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131690825697464281.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131690828904127048.jpg

NikkiW18

Arizona
That is great how often do you have to switch it out? Right now I have him in the eco earth coconut fiber that I keep moist. Is that good too as long as I have a water pan that we can go in and out of?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it'll break down every time you wash it , you'll get less every time , you can just add fresh to it as it starts to disappear ..... just keep rinsing it and squeezing it until the water comes out clean ..... pour it through a fine aquarium fish net to dispose of the water , or you'll end up with a blocked drain .. I couldn't tell you about eco earth .......

NikkiW18

Arizona
it'll break down every time you wash it , you'll get less every time , you can just add fresh to it as it starts to disappear ..... just keep rinsing it and squeezing it until the water comes out clean ..... pour it through a fine aquarium fish net to dispose of the water , or you'll end up with a blocked drain .. I couldn't tell you about eco earth .......
Thank you!