Soaking questions

optycal

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Dexter, my 2-year-old Western Hermanns, enjoys his soaks every other day. Sometimes, though, he is pretty cranky about being in the water. Should I make him stay in the water for a few minutes or just rescue the poor lad when he throws his hissy fit?

He's quite good about eating, drinking, chomping his cuttlebone, and digging around his enclosures inside and outside. He's great at regulating his temps and finding the right spot to hang out. I feel like I'm just being a bit paranoid about the soaks, so I'm open to advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leave him in. It's good exercise and helps to keep things moving. You could cut back to a couple times a week

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I agree! Continue the soaks As long as it is safe and the water is clean,warm and shallow. The exercise is good and over time you will find they stretch out and relax until they have had enough.

Assume your using a high sided container for soaks?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Sometimes my Russian seems more calm when he can't see me while he is soaking. It seems like if I am watching him, sitting next to his bath he really tries to get out, but is calmer if I stand further away. But this is totally anecdotal. Anyway, I would give the same advice to keep on soaking, the pros overule the cons.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dexter, my 2-year-old Western Hermanns, enjoys his soaks every other day. Sometimes, though, he is pretty cranky about being in the water. Should I make him stay in the water for a few minutes or just rescue the poor lad when he throws his hissy fit?

He's quite good about eating, drinking, chomping his cuttlebone, and digging around his enclosures inside and outside. He's great at regulating his temps and finding the right spot to hang out. I feel like I'm just being a bit paranoid about the soaks, so I'm open to advice!
He's not "cranky". He's just trying to find a way out. We call this the tortoise treadmill. All that walking is good exercise and it will give him a good workout and help to keep him fit.

Try experimenting with the temperature a bit. A little warmer, a little cooler, etc... Keep the water warm for the entire soak. Use a tall sided, opaque container for soaking.

Every other day is a good routine and will keep him hydrated and healthy. We just recently had a new member whose hermanni died and the X-ray showed a large bladder stone. That member apparently didn't soak quite often enough. You won't ever have that problem soaking every other day.

optycal

Washington
Leave him in. It's good exercise and helps to keep things moving. You could cut back to a couple times a week
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I'll give that a go and see how it works out for him. Perhaps fewer soaks will help him not be so cranky in Tubby TIme lol