Soaking temp

Jedispice

Location (City and/or State)
EVERETT, WA
Hi there - I have looked and looked, and cannot find what the perfect soaking temp would be for an adult yellow foot. Anyone know this info?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would say.... it all depends! It really depends on your tortoise. Our Sully used to like her temps very warm. High 90’s if i remember. At the “perfect temp” our Sully would soak forever. I would run the tap on a slow stream of hot water to keep the entire soaking tub at the temp our Sully wanted.

Sooooo, monitor closely and you should be able to see where your tort is comfy. Shoot for that temp.

I don’t really think there is a general perfect temp.

Jedispice

EVERETT, WA
I would say.... it all depends! It really depends on your tortoise. Our Sully used to like her temps very warm. High 90’s if i remember. At the “perfect temp” our Sully would soak forever. I would run the tap on a slow stream of hot water to keep the entire soaking tub at the temp our Sully wanted.

Sooooo, monitor closely and you should be able to see where your tort is comfy. Shoot for that temp.

I don’t really think there is a general perfect temp.
Thanks! Perhaps I have found the sweet spot then. A balance between warm enough for a good sip and hour or so soak, but not so comfy that he doesn't want to get out hahaha. Ours stays at a fairly good temp when the heat lamp is on during the day (we keep it at the ambient 70ish for night with no light). Do you heat yours?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks! Perhaps I have found the sweet spot then. A balance between warm enough for a good sip and hour or so soak, but not so comfy that he doesn't want to get out hahaha. Ours stays at a fairly good temp when the heat lamp is on during the day (we keep it at the ambient 70ish for night with no light). Do you heat yours?

Our soaking was always done in a plastic tub in the kitchen. No extra heat. This way i could easily scoop out any excrement, top with fresh warm water.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
The water should be the same temperature as the enclosure.....or the tortoise - however you want to look at it....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there - I have looked and looked, and cannot find what the perfect soaking temp would be for an adult yellow foot. Anyone know this info?
85-95 is a god range. Keep it warm for the whole soak by topping off, replacing water, or doing the soak somewhere warm.

I think 70 is too cold at night for a YF. All the RF keepers here recommend a low of 82ish. I am not speaking from personal experience with YFs. Just repeating what I've learned from other successful keepers.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Beasley likes it on the warm side and when I put her in she spreads out and soaks happily. But when she's done she is done. Once she poops, I can't clean it up and give her fresh water. She just keeps trying to climb out and slamming into the bottom of the bathrub. She gets most annoyed if I try to keep her there!