Soaking?

Sully06012018

Location (City and/or State)
Ocklawaha, FL
I am new to tortoise keeping and have a 7 month old Sulcata for a little over 3 weeks now. I have been reading and using the search on this forum as much as possible but have not found at what age it is no longer necessary to soak him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I soak them until they're too big for me to pick up. Then I keep a large waterer in their yard and they self soak.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep. I agree with Yvonne, especially for those of us that don’t live and house our Sullys in ultra humid environments. We soaked our Sully religiously every day for about three years here in Maryland. Then, he no longer fit into our sink...and soon was too heavy to safely lift in and out, etc. Once they hit the 60-70 lb mark, it becomes a bit problematic.

Keep soaking every day for as long as feasibly possibly. Sure...you can skip a day here or there. But try your best and it’s really in the best interest of your sully.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak well started babies every day until they hit about 100 grams. After that, I start skipping a day now and then. By the time they are adults, I soak once or twice a week.

I use larger soaking tubs for larger tortoises.

Sully06012018

Ocklawaha, FL
Thank you...I think Sheldon is adjusting well...he weighed 115 grams when I got him on the 4th of July and weighed in today at 149 grams. Probably should have named him Piglet.:D