soft plastrons! please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
What is an option for soft plastrons? Sunlight, calcium powder, hydration, and variaty in foods, are what im doing anything else i hate to loose these 2 sulcatas please help. they are getting softer everyday, what is liquid calcium and where can i buy that, and how do i use it will that help? thanks

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Im sorry to hear your having these issue's, I can't help but I hope a little bump will help the thread stay on top until someone can answer who knows.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
How old are they? is their plastron going soft? or is it still soft from them being young?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
You should be able to find liquid calcium in the bird section at the pet store. You can also scape off some cuttle bone into the water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A reptile vet should be able to prescribe some calcium gluconate (I think that's what its called). I've heard both Maggie and Yvonne mention it before. I'd PM them to be sure. That in combination with everything you mentioned is really all that can be done that I know of.

I hope they pull through for you...

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Thanks all for the hope they are young but they are getting more soft than they use to be they are prolly about 2 months old or so

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
murdocjunior said:
Thanks all for the hope they are young but they are getting more soft than they use to be they are prolly about 2 months old or so
If they are getting soft then they need a vet and most likely liquid calcium and lots of sunshine.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
If I can recall, are these the new ones you recently hatched out? How much sunlight are they getting? I find that sunlight is the key to helping to harden plastrons. Do the shells appear normal (no other coloring)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just do a GOOGLE search for liquid calcium. It comes up with many, many sites and you just pick the one you can afford.

But all the calcium in the world won't do any good unless there is vitamin D3 from the sun. Calcium ONLY works with vitamin D3 and NOT alone.

M

Maggie Cummings

I get liquid calcium (Calcionate) from the Vet. But you need to mix that with sun or strong UVB. D3 is needed, a good diet, give the calcium twice a day, every 12 hours. Keep out in the sun with shade but no hides. But it is really hard to bring them back. Can you see liquid moving under the plastron? If so you probably can't save them. But you can't give up on them either...if they are not eating you'll need to tube feed them.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.