SOFT SHELL, RUBBING EYES!!

margykid

Hi. I got a 6 week tiny Hermann the other day. The bottom of his shell seems soft as though I could break through it if I pushed it really hard (which I wouldn't do.) he keeps rubbing his eyes against his legs and he takes ages to open them when I wake him up. He is eating, pooping, and I think he is drinking. What shall I do??

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
the soft shell is normal for a baby. Don't press on it hard or you could squish its insides. It is a good idea to press lightly on it every now and then to make sure its not getting worse.
Are the eyes swollen? Usually if they're swollen its because the tort is not eating but it could be the UV light is the wrong kind. I don't remember which one you said you got but it is not the coil type bulb right?
When a tort is rubbing its eyes a lot it could mean one of too things. Its either too dry (needs a soak and humidity levels brought up) or its too hot. Can you tell me your temps and humidity level. Also, its just as important when talking about humidity that you not only have the correct % but that you can maintain a constant % and not have the levels jumping up and down a lot.
From what you have said Im assuming that you have a temp/humidity level that needs adjusting.

margykid

the soft shell is normal for a baby. Don't press on it hard or you could squish its insides. It is a good idea to press lightly on it every now and then to make sure its not getting worse.
Are the eyes swollen? Usually if they're swollen its because the tort is not eating but it could be the UV light is the wrong kind. I don't remember which one you said you got but it is not the coil type bulb right?
When a tort is rubbing its eyes a lot it could mean one of too things. Its either too dry (needs a soak and humidity levels brought up) or its too hot. Can you tell me your temps and humidity level. Also, its just as important when talking about humidity that you not only have the correct % but that you can maintain a constant % and not have the levels jumping up and down a lot.
From what you have said Im assuming that you have a temp/humidity level that needs adjusting.
My bulb is the mecurary vapour 160 watt by Exo terra. I don't know how to make the humidity higher.i flick water around the cage but it doesn't have a lid. I have damp moss but that drys out quickly.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
what are the temps in your enclosure under the basking area and the rest of the cage? What is the humidity level in the cage? How are you monitoring your temps and humidity levels? A mercury vapor bulb is good but 160watt may be too much depending on the size of your enclosure.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
its super important to make sure your temps and humidity levels are correct for a baby tort. Babies are VERY susceptible to dehydration so you've got to be watch these levels very closely. To hot or too dry and your guy with dehydrate and die. Too cold and humid and your tort will get sick and could die.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My bulb is the mecurary vapour 160 watt by Exo terra. I don't know how to make the humidity higher.i flick water around the cage but it doesn't have a lid. I have damp moss but that drys out quickly.

Without knowing your exact temp and humidity level I can take a guess. It sounds like your temps are too hot (you said your moss dries out really quick) and without a top your humidity is gone super quick. I sounds like you need to lower the temp by adjusting the bulb and make a lid for your box to control your humidity loss and maintain a constant humidity level.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
You can pick up an inexpensive temp and humidity meter at Walmart. It won't be in the pet section but the house section.

margykid

For humidity can I put this mister next to the cage!! It is meant for humans, you put water in and watery steam comes out.Will that work for his humidity? :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
how are you measuring the humidity and the temperature ? you need a thermometer and a humidity gauge. We cant tell you if your mister will work without knowing how much humidity is already in there. What is the temperature in your enclosure? You said its a 160watt bulb but how hot is it where the tort sits? If you have no way of telling how hot it is or how humid it is then I guaranty your temperatures and humidity levels are wrong. I forget the name of the business people talk about in the UK but there is a large chain of stores that sells all the parts and pieces to build a house, right? the 1st thing you need to know about owning a tortoise is that pets stores suck and offering us quality stuff at good prices. Most of what you need can be found at a hardware store. Find a digital temp and humidity meter. should cost you 7-8 euro's

margykid

how are you measuring the humidity and the temperature ? you need a thermometer and a humidity gauge. We cant tell you if your mister will work without knowing how much humidity is already in there. What is the temperature in your enclosure? You said its a 160watt bulb but how hot is it where the tort sits? If you have no way of telling how hot it is or how humid it is then I guaranty your temperatures and humidity levels are wrong. I forget the name of the business people talk about in the UK but there is a large chain of stores that sells all the parts and pieces to build a house, right? the 1st thing you need to know about owning a tortoise is that pets stores suck and offering us quality stuff at good prices. Most of what you need can be found at a hardware store. Find a digital temp and humidity meter. should cost you 7-8 euro's
Hi. I have ordered the temperature thermometer two days ago and it said it would come to tomorrow. The moss is damp and the lamp is about 14 inches from the soil.I don't know the heat but I will tomorrow. I am trying my best. I have put the cool steamer on and that should help. I am sorry if I sound like a bad owner but I am trying my best. ;) Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't they;) ?? I have also ordered a metal head for the lamp. Thanks for helping me though.:):)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully strong light for a brand new baby, Lola. I never use anything bigger than a 100 watt. Try raising the light up about 6 more inches, and provide more plants either real or fake to make shade to help protect the baby's eyes.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Nobody is busting your chops. We only want to help you. Babies are SUPER sensitive and your tortoise does not have the time for you to learn how to take care of it so we are only trying to help you quickly.
Please do not feel like we are attacking you.

From what you are telling me it sounds like you are cooking him. Does the lamp you have the bulb plugged into have a little knob on it where you can turn down the amount of light? If not you need to raise it up and make it farther from the tortoise. Make sure you give your tortoise an extra soak in warm water. 2 times a day for 20-30 mins until you know you have the temps an moisture right. Also make sure you change that water out every 10 mins so the tort stays in warm water.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

margykid

Nobody is busting your chops. We only want to help you. Babies are SUPER sensitive and your tortoise does not have the time for you to learn how to take care of it so we are only trying to help you quickly.
Please do not feel like we are attacking you.

From what you are telling me it sounds like you are cooking him. Does the lamp you have the bulb plugged into have a little knob on it where you can turn down the amount of light? If not you need to raise it up and make it farther from the tortoise. Make sure you give your tortoise an extra soak in warm water. 2 times a day for 20-30 mins until you know you have the temps an moisture right. Also make sure you change that water out every 10 mins so the tort stays in warm water.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Ok. I will raise the light right now and I already give him two soaks a day. Both about 15 minutes.;)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Give him more places to hide and get out of that light too.

Just an FYI:
There's a big difference between a bad owner and a new owner. A bad owner doesn't ask questions and flat out ignores the care of the tortoise. You are asking questions and trying to make it right. That makes you a good owner, just inexperienced. Just like you said, we all have to start somewhere. We just want to help you before your next post is you telling us how your new baby died and what did you do wrong. Just pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to every little change in your tortoise over the next few days and make sure to ask a billion questions if you think something is not right. We may sound a little hash with out comments but most of the people here just want to see you succeed.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

margykid

Give him more places to hide and get out of that light too.

Just an FYI:
There's a big difference between a bad owner and a new owner. A bad owner doesn't ask questions and flat out ignores the care of the tortoise. You are asking questions and trying to make it right. That makes you a good owner, just inexperienced. Just like you said, we all have to start somewhere. We just want to help you before your next post is you telling us how your new baby died and what did you do wrong. Just pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to every little change in your tortoise over the next few days and make sure to ask a billion questions if you think something is not right. We may sound a little hash with out comments but most of the people here just want to see you succeed.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Thank you. :):)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Is your tort rubbing it's eyes still? Are you giving your baby some extra soaks?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

margykid

Is your tort rubbing it's eyes still? Are you giving your baby some extra soaks?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Hi. So today I got the thermometer. The temp is around 30. I dampen the moss down every morning and it is still wet the next evening.After about 4 days its crispy and brown. Ben is eating and I haven't seen him rubbing his eyes since yesterday but I have been at school all day so he could have been.