Sulcata eye issues

TortoiseGA

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi I have an 8 yr old male Sulcata Tortoise and he is in overall great health ( been checked out by exotic vet) but I have a question that I can’t find any answers too! During feeding time and (occasionally 4-5 times) not during feeding his eye or eyes will start watering and then he starts rubbing them, after 2-3 times rubbing the eyelids or soft tissue around his eyes swells up and gets inflamed/puffy. The vet checked his eyes and no deficiencies (Vit A) and no scratches on corneas. It usually starts when swallowing his food, he tends to fill his throat until he has to swallow, then takes a deep breath and then it happens, the bottom tissue below his eye will water and start to puff out. Then he starts pawing at (it/ them) and then he just keeps rubbing until his eye isn’t visible and the tissue is swollen or (blown out). I’ve tried all foods, different times of day and even hand feeding doesn’t seem to matter. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

PS: I can fix the issue by putting him in a warm shower and letting the steam build up and after 15-20 min they go back to “normal”.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Tell us more about the enclosure & lighting that you have in place for your Sully. Hows the humidity? Do you soak?

Sulcatas are often referred to as the “crying tortoise” because they do produce “tears” from their eyes. But, your issue sounds different.

Upload a few pictures of your arrangement as well. Often times, things can be spotted that the owner overlooks.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You might be feeding something that is irritating his mucus membranes in his mouth and throat. My Sulcata gets foamy tears sometimes...but we really need more info...and welcome100_2033.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like the third eyelid is swelling. That sometimes happens when the tortoise is stressed. See if you can find this product either in your pet store or online:

eye ointment b.jpg

Then at the times you've noticed the swelling, dab some on his eyes to soothe.

TortoiseGA

Georgia
Greetings.

Tell us more about the enclosure & lighting that you have in place for your Sully. Hows the humidity? Do you soak?

Sulcatas are often referred to as the “crying tortoise” because they do produce “tears” from their eyes. But, your issue sounds different.

Upload a few pictures of your arrangement as well. Often times, things can be spotted that the owner overlooks
Greetings.

Upload a few pictures of your arrangement as well. Often times, things can be spotted that the owner overlooks.
He has free reign of my house ( living room/foyer/dining room about 900sqft and has for years, RH between 40-60% depending on winter or summer it’s pretty humid here in spring/summer his basking area he has a super sun uva/uvb hps bulb and a standard 150watt basking bulb as well. He gets soaks regularly and he loves the tub/shower. He’s very active and pees/poops and urates regularly. His his main diet is Timothy hay and orchard grass 80% and 20% romaine and a lil radicchio for treats. He drinks water everyday. The issue really only occurs when he’s eating, he tends fill his throat up then goes to swallow and it’s a deep breath then a lil watery eyes start he continues eating and repeats that until the bottom eyelid/soft tissue gets a lil puffy then he goes to wipe his eye and then we have to stop feeding and go to shower and then relaxes under the warm water and 5-15 min he’s completely back to normal… By the way this doesn’t happen every day and has only been happening for the last 2 yrs, the first 6yrs no issues at all! Thanks for the reply

TortoiseGA

Georgia
Sounds like the third eyelid is swelling. That sometimes happens when the tortoise is stressed. See if you can find this product either in your pet store or online:

View attachment 342563

Then at the times you've noticed the swelling, dab some on his eyes to soothe.
I’ve never tried that product before, i can Always fix the issue with a 5-15 min warm shower and his eye/eyes relax and go right back to normal.

TortoiseGA

Georgia
Hi I have an 8 yr old male Sulcata Tortoise and he is in overall great health ( been checked out by exotic vet) but I have a question that I can’t find any answers too! During feeding time and (occasionally 4-5 times) not during feeding his eye or eyes will start watering and then he starts rubbing them, after 2-3 times rubbing the eyelids or soft tissue around his eyes swells up and gets inflamed/puffy. The vet checked his eyes and no deficiencies (Vit A) and no scratches on corneas. It usually starts when swallowing his food, he tends to fill his throat until he has to swallow, then takes a deep breath and then it happens, the bottom tissue below his eye will water and start to puff out. Then he starts pawing at (it/ them) and then he just keeps rubbing until his eye isn’t visible and the tissue is swollen or (blown out). I’ve tried all foods, different times of day and even hand feeding doesn’t seem to matter. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

PS: I can fix the issue by putting him in a warm shower and letting the steam build up and after 15-20 min they go back to “normal”.
@Tom any thoughts would be appreciated.