Soft Shell vs Young Shell

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I'm reposting here after posting in General Discussion and getting no response back.

Fergie is about 7 weeks old. UV/humidity/diet is all on point per pinned threads I've read on this forum (mostly by Tom). I've also read on this forum that young tortoises do have a bit more flex to them. The spacing in between the scutes is widening, which indicates growth to me. When I gently press on the top of the shell, it does flex but I noted that the flex isn't in the middle of the scute that I'm pressing on- rather around it, where the new growth is. When I do press, I don't feel as though my finger is going to break through and impale my tort.. But I am just shocked at how I'm able to do this. I've never pressed on Fergie's shell before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Basically, I'm just pretty freaking worried and wanted to confirm that it is indeed a young shell and not the dreaded soft shell.....

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I'm reposting here after posting in General Discussion and getting no response back.

Fergie is about 7 weeks old. UV/humidity/diet is all on point per pinned threads I've read on this forum (mostly by Tom). I've also read on this forum that young tortoises do have a bit more flex to them. The spacing in between the scutes is widening, which indicates growth to me. When I gently press on the top of the shell, it does flex but I noted that the flex isn't in the middle of the scute that I'm pressing on- rather around it, where the new growth is. When I do press, I don't feel as though my finger is going to break through and impale my tort.. But I am just shocked at how I'm able to do this. I've never pressed on Fergie's shell before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Basically, I'm just pretty freaking worried and wanted to confirm that it is indeed a young shell and not the dreaded soft shell.....
If it's just flexing and not spongy it's fine. At 7 wks old a redfoot is still flexible so I'm guessing any species would be.