Soft shell

teamterrence

5 Year Member
Hey ,
I'm really concerned about my Redfoot. I've just noticed that her shell is pretty soft in the centre of her belly. I've had a look a examples of shell rot but there isn't any obvious white patches. I haven't noticed any change in behaviour and she certainly isn't put off her food.

Any advice would be great!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Has it been soft, and gradually getting harder, or is it going soft?

teamterrence

5 Year Member
Here are some photos, pretty sure it's going soft. It's in the middle where it's darker, looks like a crack? There are some white spots too? Shell rot? How do we go about healing it? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_10392.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 30

Turtlepete

South Florida
Nothing about these photo's shows any evidence of shell-rot, shell-fungus, or anything of the sort. At that size it's still completely normal for the shell to be slightly springy. You'll never really notice it, until the one time you do, then people believe their tortoises have problems.

Even though there is nothing externally wrong with that tortoise, that can be shown in pictures, would you mind outlining your care for him? Diet, humidity, temps, general setup, etc..

teamterrence

5 Year Member
We picked up Terrence from someone who didn't have time to care for anymore. He said he/she was about a year old and we've had him for a year now. We are still feeling very new to this so any advice is grateful!

Came in a tortoise table and with humidifier. A small heat mat which covers about half of the closed off section with a lid. In the open area we have another, larger heat mat that covers about half the table. A pool, log house and heat lamp. I put in a cuttlefish bone but apart from investigating it on the day I put it in, hasn't given any interest since.

I try and vary the diet as much as I can, cabbage and various fruit and veg although fussy with some, won't eat squash or kale, not fussed on tomatoes but since giving him broccoli he's turned his nose up at most things, even chose it over strawberries which he always enjoyed. Any thoughts? We have a calcium supplement too.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Steer away from cabbages and broccoli. Stick to vegetables and fruits. Mangos, papaya, cantaloupe, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, etc.. Squashes of all kinds. And lots of greens....Collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, etc.. You can buy "spring mix" from stores like Publix, which they usually like.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I've never used heat pads. I prefer to get heat from sun or bulbs or CHE. But that's for Russians.

This will give your post a bump so that some of the more experienced members can see it.

Good luck.