Shell Rot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Please take a look at Eloise's shell....The white spots....I can't tell if these are old damage or shell rot...she has had them since I got her but another member (Lynn I think) told me I should post some pics of the shell and get your opinions....they are not soft...but today I noticed they may be flakey...I've read that I can use athlete's foot cream is this right and if so how??

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 38

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This sort of shell damage is pretty common in Russians. They have a bit of a rough time of it getting over here sometimes. Did you get it from Petco or Petsmart? Unless this tortoise has been kept super wet all the time, this is not likely to be shell rot. Shell rot usually occurs underneath on the plastron as a result of constant wetness. I'd get this tortoise some sunshine in a big outdoor pen and not worry about it.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Thanks Tom....She currently has a UVB bulb as it has not warmed up here in Utah but she will be headed outside as soon as temps warm up...and yes I bought her at Petsmart..Will these spots ever go away??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Their shells tend to weather over time. Outdoor conditions and burrowing tend to smooth out the rough spots. He's got great color and is a nice looking tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.