Soil

torts.kush

Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
I live in Canada and I'm finding it hard to find a good soil for more my geek tortoises table. Does anyone have recommendations on soils in Canada? Or what to look for in soils if it's good or bad? I just want my poor buddy in his table[emoji178]

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I live in Canada and I'm finding it hard to find a good soil for more my geek tortoises table. Does anyone have recommendations on soils in Canada? Or what to look for in soils if it's good or bad? I just want my poor buddy in his table[emoji178]

Can you get hold of a screened/ sterile top soil? You can normally find it in most garden centres..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't use and bought-in-a-bag soil. There is no way for you to know what composted material it is made from. Is it chemically treated lawn clippings? Azalea and oleander clippings? Or was it something safe like mulberry leaves? No way to know.

Fine grade orchid bark works best.

eternalnewb

5 Year Member
BC, Canada
I'm also in BC and for years I had a really hard time finding soil with no additives. I finally found these big bags of peat moss at home depot, the ingredients list only Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Its around $8.99 for a big bale and once moistened a bit I have found it to be a really good substrate. I currently use it with my Russian and two Hermann's.

Attachments

• 9744Sunshine US 2.2cu Peat Moss baleB.jpg
    9744Sunshine US 2.2cu Peat Moss baleB.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 27

Lou

10 Year Member!
I remember having this same problem a couple of years ago (since I needed a soil to also have plants in the enclosure), my concern with almost all top soils commercially available was that they all use sand as an ingredient. I ended up doing a crude analysis of the Parkwood 3 in 1 planting mix, which yielded very little sand. I have been using this (mixing about 2 parts this and 1 part ecoearth). Havent had an issue with this so far.