Solar Eclipse

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Anyone in the solar eclipse "hot zone" planning on observing how it affects your torts? I'd be curious to hear everyone's observations. I'll be keeping a close eye on Ghost and watch for any anomalies. I was reading that during a previous eclipse, Galapagos torts at a zoo started mating.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Anyone in the solar eclipse "hot zone" planning on observing how it affects your torts? I'd be curious to hear everyone's observations. I'll be keeping a close eye on Ghost and watch for any anomalies. I was reading that during a previous eclipse, Galapagos torts at a zoo started mating.
Well then. If all our members here in its path can just restrain themselves, maybe some of us might manage to watch the eclipse. Including the tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's fascinating, and I definitely believe it affects animals' circadian rhythm. The Galaps said "Hey! It's the end coming! Let's get it on!"
I believe the animals get affected, just don't know if they all react or not. Like my chickens, they likely will put themselves to bed thinking it's that time. I only have two hens so no hanky panky will be happening here lol

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't think a total solar eclipse has ever moved so many people around before! But it looks like there might be a lot of wasted effort because of the expected cloud cover 😞.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I don't think a total solar eclipse has ever moved so many people around before! But it looks like there might be a lot of wasted effort because of the expected cloud cover 😞.
I took off from work the entire week (unrelated to the eclipse) and I'm glad I'm off that day. They have been predicting that the traffic will be an absolute nightmare (on top of the nightmare it already is). My butt will be home. lol

ryan57

PA
Does anyone else observing the eclipse find it interesting that the moon is not smaller or larger than the sun but the same size from our sightline on earth? Aren't those odds astronomical if these occurred by happenstance?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My sister and her family have travelled to Houston and San Antonio from the UK to see the total eclipse. We won't have another here until 2090.

The last one we had in the UK was in August 1999. I climbed a local mountain for it and it was incredible to look down into the valley and see all the automatic street lights come on and feel the temps drop slightly. Also very eerie that the birds all stopped singing.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Does anyone else observing the eclipse find it interesting that the moon is not smaller or larger than the sun but the same size from our sightline on earth? Aren't those odds astronomical if these occurred by happenstance?
i read one time, the odds of any of this randomly happening is about the same as an oxford english dictionary resulting from a print shop explosion......

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my job is in cleveland on the lake, we are closing that day due to the expected traffic........ our local weather says the cloud cover should clear out by noon.....

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
........ Whoop Dee Doooo
I'll be working on our pond, and anything else I can get done. Our days are already too short why would I waste it looking at the sun? I've been told my whole life looking at the sun is bad for your eyes, so I'll be focusing my eyes on work.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, very disappointed. I didn't have glasses but I did watch it with my phone camera in a safe way. It didn't get dark, just a bit hazy. None of my pictures looked like anything was happening. Total bust for us. I guess if you had the glasses it might have been better, but I thought it was supposed to get dark not just hazy. The temp did drop a couple degrees and the wind picked up. My chickens went inside their coop, my leopards did nothing exciting.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I watched it with the help of my neighbors, the only difference in my pets is that my dogs think it is dinner

Nice video. Except it's not March but April. 🤣
Nice catch! That's what excessive drinking while on vacation will do to ya. lol