Solar lamp

LouJex

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset
Hi

Just moved my sons tortoise enclosure and knocked the lamp! As I now need a new bulb it’s raised a few questions..

During the summer how long does the lamp need to be on for?

What’s the difference in bulbs? Currently using Evo 220v 80w bulb

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need a bit more information. What species of tortoise? Is the tortoise ever allowed outside for real sunshine? How old is the tortoise?

As to summer question, if the tortoise is an indoor tortoise, summer should be no different from winter, unless he hibernates.

Last edited:

LouJex

Somerset
Hi she’s a leopard tortoise. Yes she spends time outside in the sun. When we brought her the supplier said to use the lamp between 8 & 6. However it’s very warm now so questioning this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You didn't answer my age question. How warm you keep it depends upon how old the tortoise is.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
In general you want a 100 degree basking area and the side the furthest from the heat source should be no less than 80. So sometimes you need a ceramic heat emitter or heat panel (neither emit light) on a thermostat to keep the side opposite the basking area at 80. I think it’s called a rheostat that you can add into your basking light source that works kinda like a thermostat but can dim the bulb if it starts getting to hot. If you have adjustment in the height of the lamp you can play with different wattage bulbs to get the temps you need. I think I’m using a 40 watt flood light in my closed chamber.

Now if the tortoise gets pure sunlight a few hours a week you won’t need an additional UV light source. Otherwise the T5 flourescent fixtures are the best for producing UV.

Last edited: