Solid whitish matter in mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharonhagen1

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tortoise who was being treated for what we thought was RNS but at the last follow up a 1 and 1/2 inch tubelike item was removed from it's throat along with bacterial puss from mouth ( bought at petco 3 weeks prior gas never eaten.). This was our second vet visit and antibacterial shot. The following week he was gasping more but no or little puss so she added an oral antibiotic and did a re worming because the tube may have blocked the dose at the first visit. The vet had no idea what the solid but pliable yellowish/whitish matter was but today a second matter same color and pliable texture was in his mouth and I removed it. It was nit tubular shaped more the size of a dime just oval shaped. Any ideas what it is and what to do. vet has no idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is your vet a reptile vet? It sound to me like stomatitus (mouth rot). Something else that presents like that might be TB.

If your vet doesn't know what he's dealing with, you may need to try and find a different vet.

Sharonhagen1

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Is your vet a reptile vet? It sound to me like stomatitus (mouth rot). Something else that presents like that might be TB.

If your vet doesn't know what he's dealing with, you may need to try and find a different vet.

She is an all creatures vet and very experienced. It's a team of vets. The mass does not come from the mouth it comes from the stomach. It is solid not like bacterial puss or the mold type stuff with mouth rot. His mouth looks clean and healthy. Its like removing a piece of food, it's plod but pliable, yellowish (whitish) mass. Now no food is that color and he hasn't eaten in the last month.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have nothing to offer but felt it was worth bumping back to the line up for further opportunities for others to view....I so hope your little one recovers from what ever this ends up being....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would PM exoticdr and tell him he may have some insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.