some pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirtortalot

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Picture 013.jpgPicture 022.jpgnew house 4.jpgfinally home.jpgPicture 023.jpgsorry if im posting pics in wrong spot...have to take more pics of sulcata ty for your patience

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
T-P said:
wrong husbandry

Your awfully brash and knot-it-all for a kid. You might try being a little more tactful and people might listen more.

Yes his setup is all wrong, but we have also discussed it with him on this same board in a different thread.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
im not being funny...but.. how else do you expect me to say its incorrect care...

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
T-P said:
im not being funny...but.. how else do you expect me to say its incorrect care...

Something along the lines of complimenting on the torts themselves and then making some helpful suggestions as to a better setup for them would have been much nicer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TP: You just flat out told him he was doing nothing right. This is a welcome type thread. Would have been nice to welcome him and then not just state it's all wrong. You made a blanket comment, but gave him no idea as to what you found wrong. Like Anja said suggestions are more helpful. People tend to get turned off by something all negative, plus you gave him nothing to really work with.

You have a wealth of knowledge to share with him...and us all. Just try to remember to add atleast something positive, to make helpful suggestions in once more as positive, nonthreatening or demeaning way you can. Try to think how you want to be treated and be even nicer.

The written word can be so abrasive and not convey what we really mean or how we mean it. So much of language's meaning is based on outside things like facial expression and body language. We loose that all here. It helps sometimes to add an emotion smilies, but even those are open to individual thinking what the meaning is. Plus our choices of smilies are very very limited.

Posting is a mine field. It opens us up to being "attacked", ridiculed, and just plain to feel like a fool. This is even worse when your in a new place, surrounded by strangers. It takes a certain amount of courage to post. Sometimes it's a wonder any of us dare to post.:rolleyes:

I want to applaud you, TP, in that you asked how we thought you might improve. That speaks loads about you.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
T-P I think I understand what Anja is trying to tell you. You often come across as if you are the ultimate authority on torts. And this puts people off. Although most of us own torts, some of us are new owners (short time) others of us have owned torts for years and years and do have a wealth of knowledge, both book learned and first hand, we all have things we can still learn. You seem set in your ways, almost inflexible for a young man and sometimes seem harsh with your wording and often come across as if yours is the only way. Taking a kinder gentler approach especially with new owners and care givers often is more appreciated and better received by everyone.

S

stells

Taylor remeber the 2 you lost that also due to bad husbandry?????????, you are only now learning proper husbandry yourself, remember the excuses you made as to why you couldn't get yours out of a viv it took somebody else buying you the rabbit cage that you now show off to everyone. Lets just hope the UV tube has been replaced as it must be getting old now who is buying you the next one of them? think before you post Taylor because it makes me feel sick that you seem to think you are the authority on tortoise husbandry after what yours have been through.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi stells, yes i lost 2 tortoises due to bad husbandry, i now know the proper care of my tortoises.

The excuses were true.

Also, i have already changed my uvb light, i changed it about 2months ago.

I do not think i am authority on tortoise care, if i did..then i would seriously be a dumbnut. Noone is authority of tortoise care, its what we know and what we dont.
Also, the reason i replied with nothing but wrong husbandry was because people had already posted in his other thread (or her). so i just thought id post...

Yea ok i guess i owe an apology to sirtortalot, Sorry.

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nice pictures. All your tortoises look healthly but, I would suggest to change the aspen bedding and the pellets. Maybe you could go for some kind of half and half. My Leopard tortoise is outside all summer and is on nature dirt and grass. In the winter I use peatmoss. With a UVB light. I love your leopard tortoises!!! :) Hope that helps.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
LeopardLover said:
Nice pictures. All your tortoises look healthly but, I would suggest to change the aspen bedding and the pellets. Maybe you could go for some kind of half and half. My Leopard tortoise is outside all summer and is on nature dirt and grass. In the winter I use peatmoss. With a UVB light. I love your leopard tortoises!!! :) Hope that helps.

Hey leopardlover, aspen is actually fine for tortoises.
the best substrate is soil and playsand, or bed--abeast, but aspen is fine to use

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
T-P said:
LeopardLover said:

Hey leopardlover, aspen is actually fine for tortoises.
the best substrate is soil and playsand, or bed--abeast, but aspen is fine to use

I'm not saying its harmful, just a suggestion. Because I know my Leopard tortoise likes to burrow in her pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.