Some questions about Russian Tortoise enclosure

dnntau8

Location (City and/or State)
knoxville
Hello everyone! :)

I may be getting 2 male Russian tortoises (they say they're 4-6 years old/4 inches. I'm wondering if this is big enough to house 2 juveniles, or would I need to actually buy 2 of them?
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...xEdjvKKlxT98SJJPmnhoC1sUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've owned Red Ear Slider turtles and currently own Mississippi Map turtles, but tortoises are so much different and I just don't know enough about them so any information would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! :)

I may be getting 2 male Russian tortoises (they say they're 4-6 years old/4 inches. I'm wondering if this is big enough to house 2 juveniles, or would I need to actually buy 2 of them?
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-tortoise-house-1183753?cm_mmc=PSH-_-GGL-_-CAL-_-PME-_-PET-_-AQU-_-0-_-PM_GGL_FY20_SBU05_SH13_SmallAnimalBird&ReptileSupplies_ReptileAccessories_PLA-SMRT-_-0-_-0&gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO695WrehtNkwDmxD-dwRjzZbj5-nDU_ZXMR0xEdjvKKlxT98SJJPmnhoC1sUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've owned Red Ear Slider turtles and currently own Mississippi Map turtles, but tortoises are so much different and I just don't know enough about them so any information would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance!
Hello and welcome. Those tortoise houses are totally unsuitable for housing any tortoise species at any size. Poor design. They are also too small. A 4 Inch Russian needs something at least 3x6', and you might as well go 4x8' so you don't have to build it again in a year or two.

In other news: Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. Russians are THE #1 worst species to house as a pair. Injuries or death is highly likely, regardless of the sexes.

Here is all the care info:

dnntau8

knoxville
Hello and welcome. Those tortoise houses are totally unsuitable for housing any tortoise species at any size. Poor design. They are also too small. A 4 Inch Russian needs something at least 3x6', and you might as well go 4x8' so you don't have to build it again in a year or two.

In other news: Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. Russians are THE #1 worst species to house as a pair. Injuries or death is highly likely, regardless of the sexes.

Here is all the care info:

Oh wow, I had no idea. I'm glad I asked before I bought them. I just always worry that something will get lonely. :/
Thank you for the link/information also so I didn't waste $100 on an unsuitable enclosure.

Reactions: Tom

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yes pairs is a huge no no, glad you came here first. Russians are very scrappy and live solitary lives. They need very large enclosures too, read the care sheet it has all the info you need. Good luck!