Some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markreyes

5 Year Member
Hi, im new here, and will be a new tortoise owner soon! I will be getting a greek tortoise in the coming weeks, and have a few questions i would like to ask before. This seems to be a place full of knowledgeable people so here goes.
1. Would this cage be acceptable? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167S5EY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
My friend works at petsmart and can get me a pretty hefty discount and i have read that aquariums arent the best to keep them in. I want my tortoise to be in a safe and comfortable environment so i want a second opinion before i buy.
2. I like in san francisco,which is very humid, and i was reading on a site that greeks arent too great with humidity. Its always at least 70% humidity in my house, would this be a problem for the tortoise.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Mark.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
That enclosure seems good for a young greek, I keep mine in a large plastic Rubbermaid container.
The humidity may be a problem, Greeks are usually supposed to be kept in a dryer environment, about 30-50% humidity.
Here is a link to a site about Greek enclosures.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2620
Hope this helped! Best of luck :)
I'm sure someone else will give you some more advice, I'm no expert!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Good enough for a baby greek, and up to 2-4" SCL, but it'll outgrow that box beyond that point...likely minimally acceptable as a "short term inside home", if you live somewhere that has short winters, but an outdoors home, of minimally 6' X 8' (larger is better, naturally) is always best when the weather's warm enough.

Markreyes

5 Year Member
What would be a better indoor home then? Winter around here is almost yearly, making outdoor a problem.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I don't know if you are still interested in the zoomed tortoise house but if you are I would highly recommend it. As already mentioned it wouldn't be suitable for an adult Greek tortoise, but great for a baby. I am currently using it for my baby sulcata and I love it. It is a nice setup and has lasted me for a while.

Markreyes

5 Year Member
How long would it be considered a baby? I am adopting this one, its 1 year old already, out of 50 years i would assume a few years, but i am trying to not make any hasty decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.