Some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kurihama, Japan
Hey guys I'm going to be a new owner of a Redfoot Tortoise. I have done alot of researching and I feel like I have some good knowledge about them. But I would love any advise you have for me ... :D

I have made a tortoise table and will eventually post some pics...

I made the table 6 feet by 3 feet, and will fill it in with some top-soil, and some cedar chips... <----- tell me if thats ok...

I will have a UVB/heat lamp and some basking rocks.

Should I have more than just one lamp?

Also should I have a humidifier in it, or just spray a spray bottle?

Thanks for your time :)

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
I don't have a red foot but I know you should not ever use cedar chips. Someone will belong soon with good advice for you. Congrats on your new addition!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Good job doing your research first! Congrats on getting a new family member! I don't have a red foot either, so I am sure someone in the "KNOW" will be along shortly, I did notice a few things. Cedar chips are toxic, so you will want to change that. How about some hides? Do you have any little places for your new friend to hide in? What are your temps? Humidity? They will need to know that, so they can tell you if you need more heat or not. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen a couple pictures on the forum here where the redfoot keepers had a misting system or humidifer in the habitat. I guess whatever works well for you! I just use the garden hose, wetting down the substrate every morning and mixing it up with my hand.

Another thing to consider is plants. Lots of plants will help to hold the humidity with the added benefit of giving the tortoise a bit more security, especially if its a very young one.

I like the size of your habitat. Do you know if your tortoise is going to be a baby or an adult?

If your tortoise room is very cold at night, you might want another light fixture for night time heat. Most of us use the ceramic heat emitters (CHE) at night, but some of us will use the black light bulbs instead of the CHE. Because of the size of your habitat, you might find that you can't maintain a steady 80 degrees all over the whole habitat, so you may want to consider placing a light on either end. You wouldn't need to buy an expensive UV light for the second fixture. A plain old incandescent bulb would suffice.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Cedar is toxic, use something else. I learned this the hard way along time ago. Good luck.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Colorado
you should use cypress mulch or sphagnum moss or even bolth! it holds huimidity great and looks good too. i dont know about the basking rocks, i dont have any and havent looked into them. i use a terarrium humidfier but only like a tottal of an hour a day in short incraments. i have one basking light and one uvb light but my table is a little smaller then yours, i plan to upgrade next spring. good luck and welcome

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I use organic soil, cypress mulch and moss. Make sure there's someplace for him to hide. Plants or I use a plastic shoes box so it holds the humidity better for them. Do not use basking rocks. They do not need them and from what I've heard they can actually hurt them. :( You can use whatever is easiest for you either a humidifier of mist them everyday. :)

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Kurihama, Japan
Hey guys thanks for the Answers! I made sure not to buy any Cedar chips :D I bought some mulch :p I'm already have some great places for it to hide, and I will put some edible plants in their like wheat grass and other things... My Bowser will be around 4 weeks when I get him on friday... YOUNG I know but thats all they have here in Japan... At nite time I will have my heater on at about 65-70 degrees.

I will make sure to post pics on Friday! I'm excited!
Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.