Newbie :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kurihama, Japan
Hey guys I'm going to be a new owner of a Redfoot Tortoise. I have done alot of researching and I feel like I have some good knowledge about them. But I would love any advise you have for me :)...

I have made a tortoise table and will eventually post some pics...

I made the table 6 feet by 3 feet, and will fill it in with some top-soil, and some cedar chips... <----- tell me if thats ok...

I will have a UVB/heat lamp and some basking rocks.

Should I have more than just one lamp?

Also should I have a humidifier in it, or just spray a spray bottle?

Thanks for your time :)

pongpagong

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome! red foot is from tropical humid habitat so make sure you have good humidity.You need a soaking tray that is available all the time..i personally dont use heat rocks in all my tortoises..sphagnum moss or cypress mulch is better substrate or anything that hold moisture or good for humidity retention..cedar chips is a No No for me.You also need a hide box,in wild red foot always on the shade area a get most of their UVB exposure through diffused radiation.Enjoy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Bowser-the-redfoot":

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

I'm so thrilled to have a person who lives in Japan as a member of our forum. We truly DO have a wide variety of tortoise keepers here on the forum.

Pine and cedar have aromatic oils and should not be used as a substrate for a tortoise. Fir is ok. I like orchid bark, which is made from the bark of fir trees. I also like cypress mulch. I don't know what kind of products you would have available to you in Japan, but I'm sure you'll find something. Coconut coir is another good one.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Kurihama, Japan
Hey guys thanks for the Answers! :D I made sure not to buy any Cedar chips :p I bought some mulch I'm already have some great places for it to hide, and I will put some edible plants in their like wheat grass and other things... My Bowser will be around 4 weeks when I get him on friday... YOUNG I know but thats all they have here in Japan... At nite time I will have my heater on at about 65-70 degrees.
Oh and my name is Samuel J.
I will make sure to post pics on Friday! I'm excited!
Thanks for the advice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Samuel welcome to the TFO what kind of mulch did you get ?

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hi Samuel and welcome! Go to Tortoise Forum and look under the breeds, you will see one for red foot tortoises. It tells you there how to raise a young healthy red foot. Gives info on enclosure, heat, humidity and feeding. He gives great advise.

Congratulations on becoming a tortoise owner, I just got my firt tortoise too - a RF :D

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Kurihama, Japan
Yeah I will take some pics when I put a plastic layering on the bottom (to make sure the wood dosn't get rotten to fast) and when I put all the plants and mulch in... Right now it just looks like a box haha :p

K

kellyj994

Hello all!
My name Kelly. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Hey Samuel,
I'd say 65-70 would be too cold at night for a baby redfoot, so I'd suggest some kind of non-visible light emitting heat at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.