New keeper to be from the UK

AndyThilo

Hi

We are in the process of setting up ready to keep 2 Hermanns tortoises. We are currently getting all the kit ready and taking advise to have it all ready and temperature tested before we collect the 2 babies.

I'm planning on getting a table, which will eventually be sat on a kitchen unit (doubling as a storage unit). This is the table I'm looking at - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271907599194

In terms of heat and light, and I better getting a heat lamp fitted overhead and a side UV strip lamp, or a combo version? I will get a dimming thermostat for the heat lamp and also have managed to get through work for free a couple of wireless heat sensors so can monitor the warm and cool ends.

At night, am I right that the UV lamp gets switched off but the heat lamp stays on?

Thanks

Andy

AndyThilo

Hi, thanks for the info. The seller who is a certified breeder said getting 2 would be beneficial but you're saying otherwise. I'm so confused lol.

Found this on another forum:

In the wild torts wouldn't bother with each other, only to mate. But breeders do say that hatchlings who are kept together do seem to like the company.
I have 4 Hermanns, and I have to say they do seem to like each others company. The two smallest tend to follow each other or the other two about, and I never find them sleeping on their own, they are always with one of the others.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Please post pics of your torts ad separate them so as to avoid bullying and stress. (As @ZEROPILOT mentioned; torts do NOT like/need company). Give them daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi, thanks for the info. The seller who is a certified breeder said getting 2 would be beneficial but you're saying otherwise. I'm so confused lol.

Found this on another forum:

In the wild torts wouldn't bother with each other, only to mate. But breeders do say that hatchlings who are kept together do seem to like the company.
I have 4 Hermanns, and I have to say they do seem to like each others company. The two smallest tend to follow each other or the other two about, and I never find them sleeping on their own, they are always with one of the others.
Following and sleeping together are actually forms of bullying. It just takes a different point of view.;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andy, and welcome to the Forum.

At first, right after they hatch out, keeping a group, or more than one, seems to make them eat better. Competition for the food. But after they get established, it's natural and normal for baby tortoises to each go his own way and claim his own territory. Tortoises are territorial and don't want or need other tortoises in their space.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Andy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Thanks for doing your research first.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
That enclosure may be okay for babies or one juvenile for a while but is too small for an adult in my opinion.
4' by 8' would be a minimum size.
Some use a strip and basking bulb, some an all in one MVB (mercury vapour bulb), i use the latter, but it depends on personal preference and set up regarding the temperatures in the enclosure etc.
At night, there should be no lighting, tortoises are okay with a bit of cold at night as long as they can warm up again in the morning, but if your temps drop too low, you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), linked to a thermostat, which provides heat but no light as tortoises require complete darkness in order to sleep properly.
Two together is not a good idea.
See http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

AndyThilo

That enclosure may be okay for babies or one juvenile for a while but is too small for an adult in my opinion.
4' by 8' would be a minimum size.
Some use a strip and basking bulb, some an all in one MVB (mercury vapour bulb), i use the latter, but it depends on personal preference and set up regarding the temperatures in the enclosure etc.
At night, there should be no lighting, tortoises are okay with a bit of cold at night as long as they can warm up again in the morning, but if your temps drop too low, you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), linked to a thermostat, which provides heat but no light as tortoises require complete darkness in order to sleep properly.
Two together is not a good idea.

Hi, I'm sure we'll expand the enclosure, I can always build a new bigger one or extend this one when needed.

I've ordered a MVB bulb and got a reflector thingy to go with it. I've ordered a thermometer set through work. It's a twin wireless set so I can put the sensors where needed and monitor the temps from the one panel.

Just gotta get some liner, substrate, food and water bowl, food, cleaner etc.. Lol.

What else? We'll start growing our own weeds/flowers etc..

Thanks

Andy

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Bigger is always better for enclosures.
I use a piece of slate, sandstone or a rough bit of tile to put the food on. This is cheap and easy to clean and may help keep the beak trimmed, too.
For water cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucers, just big enough for the tortoise to soak in,and buried into the substrate are ideal.
Temperatures should be measured at substrate level.

AndyThilo

Thanks all. Everything is ordered, I think! Should all be delivered by mid next week, then it'll be time to get it all set and take some time to check temps, get the bulb right etc.. Probably need to get a dimming thermostat but haven't ordered one yet in case I don't need it. Might get a timer as well so the lamp switches on and off for beddie byes and wakie time :D.

AndyThilo

Update!

Everything is here apart from the bulb and food. Picking Flossie (name change! Don't ask ) up on Friday. Table is pretty much set up. I'll have a play with the lamp tomorrow when I get the bulb. Currently it's 24C at both ends.

image.jpeg

She's in the lounge at the moment but will be moved to the dining room once my office is moved upstairs and I've got a unit to put the table on. I've also got to fix the temp sensors better.

Will she just sleep on the soil? I wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks

Andy

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Perlite can encourage substrate eating, not good.
They will sleep on the soil, but some add moss or other soft natural bedding in the hides that help with humidity and the tort can snuggle into.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The substrate is looking very dry just now. It needs to be moist throughout (not wet) to raise humidity levels.

Are the plants in pots? They'll grow better if they are and also they'll be easier to swap out when Flossie tramples or eats them.

You need to the temperature directly under that lamp at 35C. Have you checked that it is? An temperature gun style thermometer, inexpensive from Amazon, is best for accurate spot measurements.

How high are the sides of the table? I'd be concerned about an escape attempt. They're pretty good climbers. You should consider capping the corners and possibly the edges too.

AndyThilo

Hi, I don't have the bulb yet so it's just the reflector.
Perlite can encourage substrate eating, not good.
They will sleep on the soil, but some add moss or other soft natural bedding in the hides that help with humidity and the tort can snuggle into.

Hi it's not Perlite, it's limestone according to the link. Is this soil no good as a substrate? It's specifically for Mediterranean tortoises?