- 1 in 2,000 in Columbia
- 1 in NA in Russia
- 1 in 8,300 in Mexico
- 1 in 8,600 in the U.S.
- 1 in 15,600 in Switzerland
- 1 in 21,000 in Canada
- 1 in 34,000 in Australia
- 1 in 38,500 in Denmark
- 1 in 260,000 in England/Wales (higher death rate in Scotland and North Ireland)
- 1 in 1,430,000 in Japan

Rape:
- 1 in 1,195 in South Africa
- 1 in 1,265 in Australia
- 1 in 1,360 in Canada
- 1 in 3,333 in the U.S.
- 1 in 7,045 in the U.K.
- 1 in 8,130 in Mexico
- 1 in 11,111 in Denmark
- 1 in 18,520 in Switzerland
- 1 in 21,000 in Russia
- 1 in 23,090 in Colombia
- 1 in 56,495 in Japan

... Dang we need to do whatever Japan is doing!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
what be a one raced society?

Madortoise

5 Year Member
It's an interesting question--why Japan's crime rates are relatively lower compared to other countries...Evidently, there are a lot more diversity there w/neighboring Asians immigrating and working in Japan but in general, I'm sure it certainly helps to have less racial tension there. We need to remember though there are less discrepancies among people in incomes/living status compared to elsewhere and very little homelessness and what we call poverty here. Also, they take drug abuse (except for alcohol) more seriously and they put more emphasis on people being a part of a productive society. It has it's down side like internalized shame and unfostered creativity/individualism for the sake of universal conscientiousness. We have to look at her history and spiritual beliefs as well...being beaten to the ground in War with many civilian deaths and having learned to be humble...how fragile life is (atomic bombs), not to mention respect for all sentient beings taught in Shintoism/Buddhism--all help to reduce crime rates down, I think.
However, Japan is certainly not what it used to be when I was a kid there. Some blames U.S. for the increased incidents of murders/crimes mimicking horror movies and other culturally sanctioned violence shown in media. Some emerging (well...probably for the last 15 years) disturbing incidents include culturally specific crimes such as "oyaji-gari," or an old man hunt, where teens gang up and prey on an older gentleman typically 40s to 60s in a business suit for taking out their aggressions by beating and taking money. I think of James Dean's character in Rebel Without a Cause despising his father for not being strong enough and feeling displaced because he has no role model...

S

stells

The UK didn't come out as badly as i thought it would... doesn't surprise me that there are more by firearms in Scotland and Northern Ireland though

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Madortoise said:
It's an interesting question--why Japan's crime rates are relatively lower compared to other countries...Evidently, there are a lot more diversity there w/neighboring Asians immigrating and working in Japan but in general, I'm sure it certainly helps to have less racial tension there. We need to remember though there are less discrepancies among people in incomes/living status compared to elsewhere and very little homelessness and what we call poverty here. Also, they take drug abuse (except for alcohol) more seriously and they put more emphasis on people being a part of a productive society. It has it's down side like internalized shame and unfostered creativity/individualism for the sake of universal conscientiousness. We have to look at her history and spiritual beliefs as well...being beaten to the ground in War with many civilian deaths and having learned to be humble...how fragile life is (atomic bombs), not to mention respect for all sentient beings taught in Shintoism/Buddhism--all help to reduce crime rates down, I think.
However, Japan is certainly not what it used to be when I was a kid there. Some blames U.S. for the increased incidents of murders/crimes mimicking horror movies and other culturally sanctioned violence shown in media. Some emerging (well...probably for the last 15 years) disturbing incidents include culturally specific crimes such as "oyaji-gari," or an old man hunt, where teens gang up and prey on an older gentleman typically 40s to 60s in a business suit for taking out their aggressions by beating and taking money. I think of James Dean's character in Rebel Without a Cause despising his father for not being strong enough and feeling displaced because he has no role model...

Japan is proof positive that a violent culture can become a peaceful one. Think of the samurai culture that led to the Rape of Nanking and other atrocities on the mainland in the decades before they bombed Pearl Harbor. Japan was the country that truly espoused "live by the sword, die by the sword", and now they are one of the most non-violent countries in the world. So, it can happen! ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've just got one thing to say about this.

Sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs.

chadk

10 Year Member!
You should provide a source of you are going to post stats like that.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at numbers and statistics - 89% of all stats are made up on the spot...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL, Chad...did you make that up? :D

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
Madortoise said:

Japan is proof positive that a violent culture can become a peaceful one. Think of the samurai culture that led to the Rape of Nanking and other atrocities on the mainland in the decades before they bombed Pearl Harbor. Japan was the country that truly espoused "live by the sword, die by the sword", and now they are one of the most non-violent countries in the world. So, it can happen! ;)

I agree with you there and this applies to all "civilized countries" that share similar history of romanticized medieval knighthood and dark age practices/mindset. It's always interesting to me, too, throughout the history of men/women that the winners of the wars justify the war crimes and continue to perpetrate violence while the beaten ones pay dearly for what they did--sometimes they learn, sometimes they don't...as was the case of Germany from WWI. In my fantasy I would like for all to carry the burden as well as the joy of sharing global community...but that's another topic.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
chadk said:
You should provide a source of you are going to post stats like that.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at numbers and statistics - 89% of all stats are made up on the spot...

I got all the stats from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)'s Eighth and Seventh "United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems" (http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-...e-Operations-of-Criminal-Justice-Systems.html) and the FBI's "Crime in the United States 2005" and from the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics "2002 National Crime Victimization Survey" .... Pretty unreliable sources of course...

Where's your statistic of 89% from? Probably the same people in the Department of Justice/FBI sat around and made that one up too huh? You know that these are compiled from police reports, hospitalizations, and self reports not phone polling...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Global community? Not gonna happen. Try 'community' in Detroit first. Then we'll move on...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Oh I forgot to mention that the reported deaths that are counted in are from "Data presented in this report regarding nonfatal injuries are from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. National estimates of nonfatal firearm-related injuries were derived using weighted data for patients treated in a nationally representative, stratified probability sample of U.S. hospital emergency departments (EDs). Death data presented in this report are from CDC's National Vital Statistics System, which includes information from all death certificates filed in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Population data for calculating rates were obtained from the U.S. Bureau of the Census. " ... The CDC, another suspicious contributor... and a lot of the international data was also contributed from the UN World Development reports...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Anyways I just posted this stuff for food for thought, as I came across it while reading I thought it was intriguing... I have no agenda if that is perhaps what you are suspicious of. I more was interested in what other people had to say. I'm here for no debate (just to watch one). ^_^

chadk

10 Year Member!
Jordon, are you saying you personally went to each of those sources and peiced together that list yourself? Must have taken quite some time... Was this a school project or something? Or were you just really bored? ;)

Also, I'm wondering how the CDC info you cited factors in. Since the focus on the CDC info says "filed in the 50 states", where did the info from the other countries come from for example? Did the CDC do the same exact data gathering techniques in each country listed?

In many countries, the way they collect data on these things varies greatly from country to country. So if the CDC says x amount of deaths from y, another country may report their numbers that look better or worse, but the sources do not report the information the same way.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I was really bored. And the international info is from the U.N., most of what I used was from the U.N., what was missing I substituted from the FBI, etc. I wish I would have just thought to cite the whole thing through since my motives and numbers seem so suspicious (why would I bother?). Anyways, do your own research, I don't care what you think of the numbers I posted. My point was to show the spectrum, you'll find evidence of it wherever you go. I'm done with this topic because the discussion got killed and turned into you hounding me.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It is true, even if the numbers are not exact, that countries with strict gun ownership laws have MUCH lower rates of death by firearms. Period.

Dead sheep, dead sheepdogs, and dead wolves.

chadk

10 Year Member!
DoctorCosmonaut said:
I was really bored. And the international info is from the U.N., most of what I used was from the U.N., what was missing I substituted from the FBI, etc. I wish I would have just thought to cite the whole thing through since my motives and numbers seem so suspicious (why would I bother?). Anyways, do your own research, I don't care what you think of the numbers I posted. My point was to show the spectrum, you'll find evidence of it wherever you go. I'm done with this topic because the discussion got killed and turned into you hounding me.

LOL. Look, if you post something, be ready to back it up. Pretty simple. Nothing to cry about.

Stephanie - don't believe the propoganda. Have you looked as switzerland for example?

From wiki - but can be found in many other places if that doesn't work for you...

"Switzerland
Main article: Gun politics in Switzerland
In one study by David Kopel of seven countries, including the United States and Japan, Switzerland is found to be one of the safest countries in the study.[33] In recent times political opposition has expressed a desire for tighter gun regulations.[33] Switzerland practices universal conscription, which requires that all able-bodied male citizens keep fully-automatic firearms at home in case of a call-up. Every male between the ages of 20 and 42 is considered a candidate for conscription into the military, and following a brief period of active duty will commonly be enrolled in the militia until age or an inability to serve ends his service obligation.[34] During their enrollment in the armed forces, these men are required to keep their government-issued selective fire combat rifles and semi-automatic handguns in their homes.[35] Up until September 2007, soldiers also received 20 rounds of government-issued ammunition in a sealed box for storage at home.[36] In addition to these official weapons, Swiss citizens are allowed to purchase surplus-to-inventory combat rifles, and shooting is a popular sport in all the Swiss cantons."

In many countries with recent tough gun laws, the violent crime rate has increased.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/04/20/DI2007042001760.html

M

Maggie Cummings

chadk said:
DoctorCosmonaut said:

LOL. Look, if you post something, be ready to back it up. Pretty simple. Nothing to cry about.

Stephanie - don't believe the propoganda. Have you looked as switzerland for example?

From wiki - but can be found in many other places if that doesn't work for you...

"Switzerland
Main article: Gun politics in Switzerland
In one study by David Kopel of seven countries, including the United States and Japan, Switzerland is found to be one of the safest countries in the study.[33] In recent times political opposition has expressed a desire for tighter gun regulations.[33] Switzerland practices universal conscription, which requires that all able-bodied male citizens keep fully-automatic firearms at home in case of a call-up. Every male between the ages of 20 and 42 is considered a candidate for conscription into the military, and following a brief period of active duty will commonly be enrolled in the militia until age or an inability to serve ends his service obligation.[34] During their enrollment in the armed forces, these men are required to keep their government-issued selective fire combat rifles and semi-automatic handguns in their homes.[35] Up until September 2007, soldiers also received 20 rounds of government-issued ammunition in a sealed box for storage at home.[36] In addition to these official weapons, Swiss citizens are allowed to purchase surplus-to-inventory combat rifles, and shooting is a popular sport in all the Swiss cantons."

In many countries with recent tough gun laws, the violent crime rate has increased.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/04/20/DI2007042001760.html

Let's play nice now!!! And treat each other with respect...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Chad, people who carry guns are 4.5 x more likely to be shot and 4.2 times more likely to get killed compared with an unarmed citizen (source: http://www.newscientist.com/article...un-increases-risk-of-get-shot-and-killed.html). Not to mention that people with guns in their home are 5 times more likely to have suicide committed in their home, plus regardless of storage "practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home," having a gun in the home increases the risk of firearm homicide (source: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/160/10/929). Many other studies find that guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance. Another study also finds that gun owning families in which abuse/assaults take place are far more likely to end in death (source: http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/329/15/1084). Chad, if you decide to list counter articles I ask that you please list scholarly articles, such as the ones I listed from "Oxford Journal" (Oxford Univ. publication) or "the New England Journal of Medicine" or the "American Journal of Public Health," just so our sources can be on par in reputability.

Status
Not open for further replies.