Someone in AZ please save these guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I will try to contact them. They want way too much money for them. This may be a TRN case.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Agreed. I'd love to take them in but its way too much money for that condition.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Arizona Sulcata said:
Agreed. I'd love to take them in but its way too much money for that condition.
If you are interested and I can talk them down would you like them?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Why would the worst looking tort be more expensive than the pair of better looking torts?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
No idea...maybe because they had to pay vet costs...who knows. They are only wanting money. They are out my way. Ill try to find out as much as I can. Gonna call tomorrow...

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
mainey34 said:
No idea...maybe because they had to pay vet costs...who knows. They are only wanting money. They are out my way. Ill try to find out as much as I can. Gonna call tomorrow...

mainy34 I sent you a PM. As for the cost I guarantee you it has nothing to do with vet bills. I'd bet anything they've never even seen a vet. The sad thing is I see ads like this one all the time, especially here in the Phoenix area. That's why I started my rescue enclosures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually I don't think they look to bad. Except of course the one that got chewed on, only cosmetic though. Heck we've had that happen to members here. The pyramiding, well, I don't ever see too many from AZ that aren't. The second pic looks really good for being in AZ. The price isn't bad either. The chewed on is closed to breeding size, im sure thats why she is more. Don't forget, not every pyramided tortoise is unhealthy. These ones don't look unhealthy as far as you can see in a pic and they don't look to have MBD either.

Before you guys think you need to rescue these not so bad torts. Have you seen some of the members torts that got theirs more then 5-8 years ago, maybe longer. most if not all have what we would call now bad pyramiding torts. Heck, even Tom has admitted that himself. Just wanted to throw that in. Also they are probably to big now to change what they are going to have. My Leo is two and he is 6 1/2. Inches. The high humidity care is almost over with.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
wellington said:
Actually I don't think they look to bad. Except of course the one that got chewed on, only cosmetic though. Heck we've had that happen to members here. The pyramiding, well, I don't ever see too many from AZ that aren't. The second pic looks really good for being in AZ. The price isn't bad either. The chewed on is closed to breeding size, im sure thats why she is more. Don't forget, not every pyramided tortoise is unhealthy. These ones don't look unhealthy as far as you can see in a pic and they don't look to have MBD either.

Before you guys think you need to rescue these not so bad torts. Have you seen some of the members torts that got theirs more then 5-8 years ago, maybe longer. most if not all have what we would call now bad pyramiding torts. Heck, even Tom has admitted that himself. Just wanted to throw that in. Also they are probably to big now to change what they are going to have. My Leo is two and he is 6 1/2. Inches. The high humidity care is almost over with.

One of them I agree isn't too bad. The other two I definitely think are what I call "rescue bad". Also something to keep in mind is that all 3 are males.

I understand there are many pyramiding cases in AZ but that's not because they are in AZ. I have raised perfectly smooth tortoises here and so have many others. The reason we see the problem so often here is simply because there are so many tortoise here.

These definitely need a better home, 100%.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I could take them, but definitely not at that crazy price.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Arizona Sulcata said:
wellington said:

One of them I agree isn't too bad. The other two I definitely think are what I call "rescue bad". Also something to keep in mind is that all 3 are males.

I understand there are many pyramiding cases in AZ but that's not because they are in AZ. I have raised perfectly smooth tortoises here and so have many others. The reason we see the problem so often here is simply because there are so many tortoise here.

These definitely need a better home, 100%.

I don't agree that these are in that bad of condition. They are pyramided. That's all. That is the majority of tortoises condition on CL . Heck that is the condition of the majority of larger torts being sold period.
I see a lot from AZ on CL, fauna, kingsnake that are pyramided. I have even written to a breeder before in AZ asking why his torts, under a year are pyramided. Of course no answer. Yes, they can be raised correctly in AZ. However, the majority probably don't. The same goes for Florida. Greg's Aldabras grow smooth. The hot humid Florida weather is good for that, along with his great care. However, take a look at some of the other torts from Florida. Not so smooth. Were these tortoises raised hot and dry. Probably, that's how most of them had been raised up until 5-8 years ago and unfortunately still today. I would not have a problem with these, nor do I think the price is out of line. (I misunderstood the part they were all males) that's of course if they truly know their sex.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'm with Barb on this one. I don't see anything in the pics that would indicate that these torts are unhealthy or maltreated. They're pyramided, yes, but not horribly deformed. I see no indication of MBD. Their eyes are open and clear (from what I can see). All three are outdoors, which is a big plus in my book.

Its sad that the one was chewed on by a dog a year ago, but there's no indication that the animal was not seen and treated appropriately by a vet. The person who posted the ad was forthcoming about the dog attack indicating to me that they may be honest people just looking to rehome their pets. The prices are not horrible.

I don't know the people and see no reason to assume that they are bad owners or that these torts are in need of saving.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I know a guy who keeps 10 full grown male Sulcatas in 20'x10' small enclosure. They get water once every 4 weeks when he gets irrigation. They only eat Romaine lettuce and they get it once a week. Do they have MBD, no they do not. Are they active? Very, they are constantly fighting. Just because they don't have MBD or puffy eyes doesn't mean they aren't in need of better care. Is this owner a bad tortoises owner? I have no idea, never said I knew. I can tell though that they aren't in good shape. Like I said, one of them is fine. The others, no way. Yes I know a tortoise can be healthy with pyramiding, but for how long? MBD could be just around the corner. No one knows. So in a sense we are both wrong. :) Haha I'm just saying better to prevent than to wait for the problem to inevitably happen.

Anywhere you have a surplus of tortoises (Arizona and Florida) you are bound to see more pyramiding cases. The more tortoises, the more problems you'll be able to see. Simple as that. I think they are two of the best places in the world for raising tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. The sulcatas you spoke of, well, they are obviously not being taken care of correctly, you know this as a fact, not just a pic and they sound like they need rescuing, way more then the leopards. The leopards on the CL, we have no idea. The pics do not tell us anything except they have pyramiding, no big deal and that they look healthy. However, the pics do show, water and grass. Looks better then what you describe with the guy you know. Which, by the way. Have you tried helping the guy better his husbandry? Does he have a reason he doesn't do it better? These leopards need a home. They don't need rescuing. Do they need a better home, possibly, but not by the pictures. If you judge needing to rescue these torts by the pictures. Then there are a lot of tortoises owned by members on this forum that would fit your needing rescued criteria.
I do agree with you on your last statement though:D

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I've talked to him many times. He isn't going to change because like I said his tortoises don't "look" unhealthy. He's set in his this ways despite what I tell him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Arizona Sulcata said:
I've talked to him many times. He isn't going to change because like I said his tortoises don't "look" unhealthy. He's set in his this ways despite what I tell him.

Unfortunately, that's probably the story of many. You might have done this already. However, mention to him TFO. Just ask him if he will do you a favor and just lurk for a while and read some of the threads. You can point him in the right direction of which threads. It might work, if you haven't tried it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.