Someone please give me advice on the lamps for my hermann tortoise.

robyn.gaw

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Ireland
Hi. Today I got my first ever hermann tortoise and it is still very small and young. I don’t know the exact age of him but i’m guessing a few months. I need help on which time to turn on the lamps in my tortoises enclosure. I still go to school so obviously on school days I get up and leave much earlier than i would get up on the weekends. I leave my house at 7:30am on a school morning along with my parents for work so no one else is there to turn the lamps on so I know i need to turn them on before i leave. But do they need to be turned on at the same time every day because i know they have to be 12 hours on and 12 hours off however, i really don’t want to be waking up at 7:30am even on weekends to turn on the lamps. Can someone help me and give me advice as i am very very new to this? Also Im assuming that even if my tortoise goes to sleep before i turn of the lamps i should just keep them on until my tortoise gets used to what time they go on and off?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put your lights on a timer, this way they can come on and go off at the same time
A.m. a good time is sunrise, I do around 7:30-8, I'm in Chicago. Sun rises a bit earlier but my tortoises don't. P.m. I do around 7, they usually go in for the night around 5-6.
I use lights more in the winter. Those times are lights on 8 a.m. and off 6 p.m.
The tube fluorescent uvb light only needs to be on about 4 hours. Those come on around 11 and off at 3

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome to the forum!!🐢💚

As wellington suggests, get all your lighting on timers, we use these plug in wall timers
IMG_1985.jpeg

Whilst you’re here, I don’t suppose you’d mind sharing some more information on how you’re keeping them? It’s really nice to see with new members🙂

How are your temps? Ie basking temp(directly under the bulb) overall day temps? Night temp?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packing pics are good if you have any but dw if not
What kind of indoor uv?
How’s your humidity reading?

A photo of your full set up would be brilliant if you don’t mind posting one! Along with a pic of your new baby tort🥰

In the meantime, you might hopefully find this thread below useful to go over😊