New tortoise light help please !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was told via the pet shop this is the correct lighting ? I've read some many different things, what shall I cover it up with?

Pet stores usually don't really know what's best for your tortoise. They're there to sell you stuff.

As a temporary fix, you can cover the whole thing, light and all, with cooking foil.

al123

Pet stores usually don't really know what's best for your tortoise. They're there to sell you stuff.

As a temporary fix, you can cover the whole thing, light and all, with cooking foil.
Thanks very much! X

al123

Hey
I got a baby tortoise 2 days ago! Such a cutie,but I've noticed he isn't eating much? He has had a few nibbles of cress, and that is all? Do I need to be worried ?

Also I have a 60 Watt heat bulb and a 5% UBV , do I need a stronger watt heat bulb or am I alright?
Thanks very much for any replys!
Here is tim - ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421901669.021649.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is way cute! What are your temps? Warm side, cool side, basking and night. I do not have Russians, but this info will help the experts help you. Welcome to the forum.

al123

Thanks , basking side reaches 80-90C, cool side is at 50C , humidity 50%? I am scared I am doing something wrong but he is in a warm room, and he has been drinking water just not eating much

al123

What kind of UV bulb? Coil type? Those can burn their eyes. I would turn it off right away and not use it. Return it for a refund.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?

Here are some care sheets that are full of good tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421902496.452350.jpg

These are the bulbs I have, don't know if it's clear enough, 5% UBV and 60W heat bulb, it is reaching the correct temperate

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ah. That looks familiar. I recall we addressed these things on your other thread. My advice will be the same. Get rid of the coil bulb and make sure your temps are warm enough. I think something is off. 80-90C would kill the tortoise. Do you mean Fahrenheit? And what about the night temp? 50 C would be way too hot. 50 F would be way to cold.

What is that substrate? Shavings?

Please go back and read the care sheets. Then make the needed adjustments.

al123

Can people please tell me what bulbs they use and if they are actually any good?
Need to purchase a new bulb and I need to know what's good and what's not so good!
Thanks very much x

Is this any good ? - Exo Terra SunGlo Tightbeam Bask Spot Lamp S20 75W

al123

Ah. That looks familiar. I recall we addressed these things on your other thread. My advice will be the same. Get rid of the coil bulb and make sure your temps are warm enough. I think something is off. 80-90C would kill the tortoise. Do you mean Fahrenheit? And what about the night temp? 50 C would be way too hot. 50 F would be way to cold.

What is that substrate? Shavings?

Please go back and read the care sheets. Then make the needed adjustments.
Sorry I meant 80-90F, i will have a read through now thankyou! X

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You don't need to get a fancy pet store basking bulb, they are way expensive.. You can use a regular lightbulb or a floodlight lightbulb. As far as a UVB bulbdon't get the coil type. It depends on what type of enclosure you have and what kind of tortoise as to what type of ball to get, mercury vapor bulb or long fluorescent. Powersun is a good brand.

al123

For a baby tortoise I don't think it is supposed to go below 80°F throughout the entire enclosure.

If I change my heat bulb to 100W instead of 50W will it make any difference? The pet shop has given me totally the wrong set up if this is the case

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If I change my heat bulb to 100W instead of 50W will it make any difference? The pet shop has given me totally the wrong set up if this is the case
Pet stores usually do give you the wrong information. Mine sure did, luckily I had done research and new that some of it was bad information later I realize that all of it was bad information. Just stay on this for him and you will learn everything you need to. If you search on a bunch of different sites you were going to get conflicting information and it will be confusing and frustrating. This is definitely the best site. You can use a regular lightbulb or a floodlight lightbulb also, you don't need to get the fancy pet store version. 75 or 100 W should definitely help. But keep an eye on the temperature and if it gets too hot raise the bald up tire. don't use a coil Bob for UVB, they are dangerous for tortoise eyes especially baby tortoises.