New tortoise light help please !

al123

Pet stores usually do give you the wrong information. Mine sure did, luckily I had done research and new that some of it was bad information later I realize that all of it was bad information. Just stay on this for him and you will learn everything you need to. If you search on a bunch of different sites you were going to get conflicting information and it will be confusing and frustrating. This is definitely the best site. You can use a regular lightbulb or a floodlight lightbulb also, you don't need to get the fancy pet store version. 75 or 100 W should definitely help. But keep an eye on the temperature and if it gets too hot raise the bald up tire. don't use a coil Bob for UVB, they are dangerous for tortoise eyes especially baby tortoises.

Sure has confused me reading so many different things! Going to stay on here from now, thankyou so much for your advice! I will purchase a Regular bulb today and as for the Ubv I do have a coil, I am finding it hard to find one that isn't coil?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Get a mercury vapor bulb, they provide heat and UVB 100 W, powersun is a good brand. You will have to get it at the pet store. and make sure you have a ceramic based fixture put it in. A large (wide) One is best, I usually get the 11 inch aluminum ones from Home Depot.

al123

Get a mercury vapor bulb, they provide heat and UVB 100 W, powersun is a good brand. You will have to get it at the pet store. and make sure you have a ceramic based fixture put it in. A large (wide) One is best, I usually get the 11 inch aluminum ones from Home Depot.

I will definitely get one of these just done some research on them! Thanks very much! The lamps/bulb have now are Bayonet Fit

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have not heard of that brand but that doesn't mean anything. I think your enclosure is small enough right now that you can hang the MV be directly over the middle of the enclosure and it should keep it warm enough and provide a warm enough Baskin spot. Of course you will have to check it once you get it set up. Read the Russian care sheet that Tom posted and you will be fine. Keep the substrate slightly moist, they like coconut coir to dig in. and don't forget to soak your tortoise. I think a baby should be soaked daily, I soak my adult Russian 2 to 3 times a week.

al123

I have not heard of that brand but that doesn't mean anything. I think your enclosure is small enough right now that you can hang the MV be directly over the middle of the enclosure and it should keep it warm enough and provide a warm enough Baskin spot. Of course you will have to check it once you get it set up. Read the Russian care sheet that Tom posted and you will be fine. Keep the substrate slightly moist, they like coconut coir to dig in. and don't forget to soak your tortoise. I think a baby should be soaked daily, I soak my adult Russian 2 to 3 times a week.

I have Pro Tortoise Life Substate which is a mix of soils sand and calcium if they do eat it with a layer of tortoise woodchips which he seems to like, thanks

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Where are you located? I've never heard of that substrate either but again that doesn't mean anything. It doesn't sound like it would hold moisture very well though and Santa can cause impaction. So you might consider the coconut coir. I know it is hard to have everything set up and then to have people tell you it is all wrong :) it takes a little bit to get it right. But you'll get there. there are several different ways to do things "right". you have to figure out what works for you.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I cringe when I think of all the different supplies etc. I have bought that I now no longer use. it is a pretty sharp learning curve at the beginning.

al123

I cringe when I think of all the different supplies etc. I have bought that I now no longer use. it is a pretty sharp learning curve at the beginning.
I am located in liverpool , and I will have a look online now

al123

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421914814.757614.jpg

Is this a Ceramic fitting?
Before I purchase my new bulbs I wondered if I need another fitting

al123

Hey can anyone please tell me if this is a Ceramic fitting? Thanks :) xImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421916448.568120.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hard to tell for the picture. It's either ceramic or plastic. Ceramic is dense and it should have some weight to it

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If I change my heat bulb to 100W instead of 50W will it make any difference? The pet shop has given me totally the wrong set up if this is the case
Changing the bulb will not help night heat when it should be off. A CHE on a thermostat is a really effective option for night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I go to Google and put in "Mercury Vapor Bulb - Reptiles" then look for the cheapest result. It usually shows up as an Amazon sale. The last one I bought was a Fluker's Sun Spot for about $28. The MVB gives you UVB and heat all in one bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For UV look into the mercury vapor bulbs, or the long tube style florescent bulbs, not the compact ones. They can go without UV for a long time, so turn off the coil bulb before it does any damage. He'll be fine with just the heat bulb. If you lower the bulb a bit, you can get it warmer under it without getting a new bulb.

That is not a ceramic fixture. I would replace those. Plastic fixtures are not meant to be on for 14 hours every single day and handle the heat generated by our bulbs.

I would swap out that substrate for any of the ones mentioned in the care sheet. Using shavings or putting bits of limestone in the substrate for them to eat makes no sense. That is dangerous.

Your tortoise needs night heat. Is it customary for people to let their houses get so cold over there at night? Wow man. If turning on the heater is not an option, then you will need to get a ceramic heating element and set it on a thermostat. This will maintain ambient day and night.

Hurry now. Your tortoise's health is hanging in the balance while you figure these things out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that looks like PVC or plastic. Ceramic is the stuff dishes are made out of - breakable.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Your in good hands I just want to say your baby is adorable. Keep us posted on the little guy.