Something wrong with beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu

5 Year Member
So, I am a little confused, I called around for pricing for a beak trim. Due to pictures of the female I am obtaining in the next few weeks she will be needing a beak trim. So, every where I call they want to charge me 80+ dollars for an exam fee explaining there is a underlining problem if the beak is growing enough to be trimmed. Is this correct information?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Overgrown beaks (and nails) on long term wild caught and captive born tortoises is fairly common. The "underlying problem" is not life threatning and not something that warrants a vet check. It's easily fixable at home once you get the tortoise. An overgrown beak can be the result of a few things: Either the tortoise constantly being fed soft foods possibly on a soft surface, with no way to keep it's beak worn down naturally or it can be a result of accelerated growth, or a combination of both. What does the tortoise's shell shape and nails look like? If everything else looks normal then it's likely the first cause. If the nails are abnormally long (and thin) and the shell shows unusual growth, the beak may be the result of the second cause. In either case, a correct diet fed with the ability to keep the beak trimmed should take care of either cause. It won't reverse it, but it can stop it. In the meantime if the beak does need trimming it can be done by yourself with the help of someone to hold the tortoise if you're comfortable with doing so. There are many methods that can be used. I personally like to use a dremel tool and carefully sand away what is necessary. It's quicker which is usually less stressful for the tortoise.

Vishnu

5 Year Member
I actually found a vet this morning that will do it for $18 without an exam. I have never seen him before but I can't beat $18 for a nail trim (if needed) and beak trim. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Can you post a pic for us? You'll get even more help if we can see what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.