Somewhat of an emergency--sulcata lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Thanks, guys. That means a lot. I've just learned so much here in the past few weeks, i can't thank you all enough. And thank you for allowing me to ask repetitive, what-might-come-off-as-common-sense questions. I'd rather ask them and know how to take care of my little fellow than not ask at all, of course!

You guys are simply the best.

I'm off to buy a ceramic fixture and digital thermometer!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
mckenzieg said:
Livingstone:

The lamp is not in an optimal position for the time being, as it is clamped to the radiator right beside the tank and I have been informed that a mercury vapor bulb needs to be pointing completely downwards. I plan to remedy this this evening.

Well until you do, let me help you. In a house where the ambient air temp is 73 deg. A 100watt MVB needs to be 11 inches from the substrate surface to yield a high 90's to 105 deg. basking spot. If you are using a 160watt MVB then a distance of 16 inches from the substrate to give the same temp. Hope this helps.

***My calculation also implies a 75% humidity reading from a damp substrate. However the surface is dry at the time of the reading, so what Im telling you should hold true.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Those 100 Watt MVBs usually have a useful & safe range from 12-18 inches from the substrate. Where you need to place it to get a correct basking temp varies based on ambient temperature. 11 inches will be too close as the tort could get too much UVB (same with at greater than 18 inches the tort isn't getting useful UVB). Experiment with the distance without the tort under it, using an accurate thermometer like a temp gun. The MVBs take a few hours to warm up, so you want to know the absolute max temp it will get (if you measures the temp 30 minutes after turning it on, it might still get 5-10 deg hotter as the day went on). Yes, the MVB needs the bulb face parallel to the substrate in a ceramic socket fixture, and very secure so that it won't be bumped. Having it at an angle will both reduce the bulb life (and have it more likely to blow), and have it dangerous for the tort's eyesight. That thermometer you showed can't really be used very well to measure basking temp. You want something like a temp gun where you aim and press a button for instant readings, so in 30 seconds you can know how the entire gradient is (not move the probe, wait 20 minutes for a reading, then move it again). I spent about $25 on a temp gun and it was one of the best tort supply purchases I ever made. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.